Alaska Furnace Question

spotteddog
Stoker Coal Boiler: alaskan
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: electric

Post by spotteddog » Mon. Nov. 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Can anyone tell me if the draft blower on an Alaska 140 slows down when it is on an idle burn not calling for heat. I am building a furnace out of my hearth model stove. I built a control box to control high and low burn when the thermostat calls for heat, but now I am wondering if the blower should slow down also so it isn't just cooling down the stove.

spotteddog

Post by spotteddog » Tue. Nov. 10, 2015 12:33 pm

After looking at other pictures it looks like my burner and a 140 burner are very similar mine is a half moon paddle feed. I am planning on mounting a separate squirrel cage blower on it and doing away with the Alaska factory one since the stove is cut apart in pieces now it is easy to get at. My only concern is to much air at an idle and burning up my coal to quickly when not calling for heat. Any thoughts on this would help. Thanks.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Nov. 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Other folks have done what you are talking about. They run the fan at half speed at idle and full speed on thermostat calls. They say it burns the coal more thoroughly and keeps the stove at a higher temp between calls for heat so it recovers quicker when the 'stat does call for heat.

spotteddog

Post by spotteddog » Tue. Nov. 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was wondering I stopped at the used electrical place this afternoon they had a three speed motor control so I picked it up to add to my control box. Hopefully it all works out like I hope.

mdrelyea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Auger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice/Nut

Post by mdrelyea » Wed. Nov. 11, 2015 8:50 pm

My 140 doesn't slow the combustion motor at an idle. It only slows the coal feed rate. The combustion motor always spins at the same speed regardless of what the thermostat is calling for.

spotteddog

Post by spotteddog » Thu. Nov. 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Maybe I don't need to mess with mine then just run it like it is.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”