Dismantling a Harman Stoker

urhstry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Verti-flow
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut
Other Heating: OWB

Post by urhstry » Fri. Nov. 06, 2015 9:29 am

I just bought an older ST8-VF8 and am tearing it down in order to get it ready to sandblast and paint. The only part I can't figure out is how to break apart the inside burn tray from the rear mount I know its "split" inside the unit but I can't get it apart no matter what I do. I am sure the neglect of the stove overall is hampering my efforts. Can someone direct me as to how to get it apart?

phoenixrsng648
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmon st8vf8
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harmon

Post by phoenixrsng648 » Fri. Nov. 06, 2015 6:30 pm

there is a bolt on each side of the one piece grate after you take the 3 bricks out then get a big screw driver or pry bar and tap it in between the grate out front where the ashes fall off and pry up if you need a new one piece grate there is one available on craigs list its locted in halifax at hoffmans out door

phoenixrsng648
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmon st8vf8
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harmon

Post by phoenixrsng648 » Fri. Nov. 06, 2015 6:33 pm

hoffmans phone number is 717-362-1971

urhstry

Post by urhstry » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 8:24 am

Well I have the brick out as well as the bolts. I can see where the line is that breaks apart front and back. Does the inside part hinge on the back part? I tried putting a screwdriver in the crack but it wasn't happening.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 9:22 am

From looking at the one piece grate that Hoffmans's is selling.
https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/fod/5302012018.html

It looks like the 2 bolts are what holds it together. It may be sealed with Hi Temp silicon or furnace cement. That will make it difficult to pry apart. If I remember correctly, the Harman 2 piece grate has a third bolt in the front that is a socket head.

-Don

urhstry

Post by urhstry » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Yep, you're correct. I had to heat it up but I got that third bolt out and still had to crack it open with a screwdriver and hammer. The stove is close to being cleaned up but those door pins are seized in the hinges and heating and PB Blaster isn't doing a thing. I am thinking I may have to cut them off but I can't even get in anywhere to cut them. :x

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”