How to Stop Stoker From Filling Boiler If There Is No Fire

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Tue. Oct. 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Any sort of control available that can be installed to shut down the stoker & blower on my K-6 Keystoker when the fire goes out?

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Tue. Oct. 27, 2015 8:32 pm

There was a recent post on this about a what if the power turns off long enough for the fire to go out, the power goes back on and fills the stove with unburned coal. But what you are asking a what if the fire goes out, does this happen on its own? I cant see it happening if the pwr is on. I had a preliminary design for the power out and then on situation. Using one of these, or another similar device. Potter/Brumfield cnt-35-36 programmable multi function time delay, relay/counter. I turned my pellet stove into a automatic cat feeder with one of these. 40 pounds of cat food in the hopper, and set the one shot function to about 60 seconds, the cats hung out at the pellet stove all day, waiting for a pc of food to drop out every minute.

Attachments

IMG_9556.JPG
.JPG | 135.5KB | IMG_9556.JPG

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Oct. 27, 2015 8:36 pm

alpineboard wrote: I turned my pellet stove into a automatic cat feeder with one of these. 40 pounds of cat food in the hopper, and set the one shot function to about 60 seconds, the cats hung out at the pellet stove all day, waiting for a pc of food to drop out every minute.
Now That Is the best use for a pellet stove I have ever heard!!!

-Don

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Oct. 27, 2015 10:09 pm

I've got a 6006 (I believe ...) that kills stoker power when water temp goes below a certain point. I have it mounted to the T return of the zones, and to the stoker boiler itself. If there's an outfire, the temp will drop, and kill the power, so I'm not circulating cold water around, and filling up my ash pan full of unburnt coal.

I wired up a regular wall switch to override the controller, for when you're trying to light the fire. Once it's lit, flip the switch and it'll do it's job if the temp falls below your set point. Getting the set point right takes some trial and error. I had a few outfires trying to dial it in.

Simple and reliable - exactly how I like things.

Attachments

IMG_5078.JPG
.JPG | 153.2KB | IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG
.JPG | 123.7KB | IMG_5079.JPG

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Tue. Oct. 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks Smitty, I like your method better than my timer idea. If you have hot water, chances are you have a fire going. If the power goes out, the boiler water will slowly cool, pwr goes on again, if the boiler is hot, there is probably flame. Probably set the 6006 lower than the turn on temp, but by how much, every ones boiler is different.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 6:27 am

Same principal, but sense the stack/flue heat or the lack of heat. ;)

Spring wound timer switch takes care of the "start-up bypass" to make that foolproof. :)

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 12:50 pm

snap switch that opens on temp drop attached to the smoke pipe

and the wind up thingy suggested by MAC

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”