picture 1

.PDF | 119.2KB | stove.pdf
stove.pdf

picture 1

stove.pdf

picture 1

I have a Hitzer 82FA furnace. I replaced the firebricks that were cracked last night and I have on the left side of the stove (opposite the flue) a space between either the outer wall and the fire bricks or if I lean the bricks against the outer wall then there is a space between the bar that holds them in place and the bricks. The outer wall has bowed slightly. Is this something to be concerned with? Can I put some kind of a steel or masonry space in there in order to hold them in place better? I attached two pictures, hopefully they turned out ok.

Attachments

stove 2.pdf

picture 2

.PDF | 119KB | stove 2.pdf

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 7:57 am

The coal bed will push the bricks against the stove body, and any gaps will soon fill with ash. I think it will work fine as is.

heisejw

Post by heisejw » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 8:32 pm

I actually heat with wood, but I know it was like that last year too and didn't seem to be a problem (the first year I have used this furnace, previous owner installed it), but I wanted to see what others thought.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 8:40 pm

If you pull the bricks out just moving or rotating them to the interior that likely means your bricks are not tall enough.

Gaps are OK.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 7:10 am

If it concerns you put some refractory cement in the cracks and gaps. I don't think you need to but then again it's your stove. You need to do what will make you sleep at night.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 7:25 am

That unit is a poor choice of you wish to heat with wood. It will perform much better with coal.

heisejw

Post by heisejw » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 7:50 am

There is some play here, meaning the top of the bricks will move back and forth between the steel bracket and the fire box wall. If I push the top of the bricks out against the outer wall then I can fit my fingers between them and the steel bracket, if they are leaning against the steel bracket that is to hold them in place then I can fit them between the top of the bricks and the outside wall of the fire box. Again, this is just at the top and the that outside wall is slightly bowed.

Why is it a poor choice for heating with fire wood? I have found it to perform quite well. It heats the house nicely, is usually easy to start, and doesn't seem to use a ton of wood for the size house I have.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 8:06 am

The firebox is designed for coal. It will burn wood well enough, but will smoke a lot more and have much shorter burn times....or at least that was my experience. If you are happy with it, then that is good enough.

crashncowgirl

Post by crashncowgirl » Tue. Oct. 20, 2015 11:37 pm

just wondering as I'm a bit quizzical is the burn time of the hitzer 82 shorter with wood because there fewer btus in the wood per load or equivalent volume? what's the burn time with wood being experienced? the only real way to compare burn times is by using as equal as possible BTU content of fuel not necessarily full load burn itmes. thanks this is just the type of 2 cents that gets me in trouble at home.
crash

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 21, 2015 8:34 am

Wood could never match coal as far as burn TIME, no matter stove type--coal more consistent, longer--BTU's is something the mental masturbator's will have to figure out for ya. Just an old farmers observations. ;)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Oct. 21, 2015 8:42 am

heisejw wrote:There is some play here, meaning the top of the bricks will move back and forth between the steel bracket and the fire box wall. If I push the top of the bricks out against the outer wall then I can fit my fingers between them and the steel bracket, if they are leaning against the steel bracket that is to hold them in place then I can fit them between the top of the bricks and the outside wall of the fire box. Again, this is just at the top and the that outside wall is slightly bowed.

Why is it a poor choice for heating with fire wood? I have found it to perform quite well. It heats the house nicely, is usually easy to start, and doesn't seem to use a ton of wood for the size house I have.
This space issue at top of the fire-bricks is a sign of abuse in the stove operation.
This stove was over-fired somehow.
Do the grates sag some too?
For any others reading this;
One too common abuse with this end result is forgeting the ash pan door being left open and fire raging with little control.
Setting a cell phone timer and carring the phone with you can remind you to close the door.
Another method is a wind-up timer with a lanyard from Amazon, wore around the neck to alarm.
Last edited by McGiever on Wed. Oct. 21, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 21, 2015 8:45 am

crashncowgirl wrote:just wondering as I'm a bit quizzical is the burn time of the hitzer 82 shorter with wood because there fewer btus in the wood per load or equivalent volume? what's the burn time with wood being experienced? the only real way to compare burn times is by using as equal as possible BTU content of fuel not necessarily full load burn itmes. thanks this is just the type of 2 cents that gets me in trouble at home.
crash
That's a bit of a loaded question. :lol: I'll take a stab at it... Kinda, a two part answer. Burn times in general with wood are shorter than coal. #1 Coal is more dense so more BTU potential can be loaded into the stove. #2 The heat from wood is mostly from baked out gases. A modest amount of those gases go out the chimney unburnt when trying to control the burn, then on the other hand if wood is burnt hot and fast with good combustion efficiency, much of the heat goes up the chimney. (There are some wood stoves that take advantage of these characteristics, but then they aren't quite as well suited for coal, like the gasification burners.) With coal, most of the heat comes from dense Carbon, instead of volatile gases (coal does have some gases, but a much smaller percentage). The burn rate can be choked way down without as much combustion efficiency loss as wood. This way coal's heat potential is more easily spread out across a section of time, more smoothly with a more steady heat output.

Hope this helps.. :)

heisejw

Post by heisejw » Wed. Oct. 21, 2015 9:16 am

No sagging in the grates, last winter was my first with this unit, not sure if that was from us or the previous owner, but I wondered if that might be the case was that it was over fired.

crashncowgirl

Post by crashncowgirl » Thu. Oct. 22, 2015 5:50 pm

I guess I went about making my point the wrong way sorry been under the weather for about 10 days and working a killer schedule. which causes the brain to not function well [as if it ever does function well]. I was trying to make the point that expecting wood to burn as long as coal per load is at best unrealistic and at worst psychotic. sorry I ill endeavor to be more direct in the future.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Good you're feelin a lil better CC. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”