What Types of Motors Does My Keystoker Use

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 1:06 pm

the stove is running great but I have been thinking about sourcing some spare motors, as motors are the primary failure item on a stoker. I know they are shaded pole but if I go order some spares what do I order and where should I get it from. when I had my Harman pellet I had a bad blower motor. instead of allowing the dealer to sock me by $160 for the whole assembly I bought the motor only and took the blower apart and replaced ONLY the motor. so I want to have spares on hand if something fails instead of going to the dealer. I want only the motors. what about the stoker motor looks like a pellet auger motor.

also I have read one here sometime people mention an improved type of motor that is better then the shaded pole type. what about these units?

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 5:30 pm

is the stoker motor the exact same as a pellet stove auger motor, 4 RPM 3-20-60906. they are on ebay for $84

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I doubt it, how lucky do you feel?

If your Keystoker has the nylon cam and bumpers you will want to have spares of those on hand first. I would get those from Keystoker. These act like a safety fuse. If the fire burns back to close to the hopper, them melt reducing the stoking to nothing then the fire goes out. If you don't have spares, you don't have heat.

-Don

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 7:16 pm

i would like to have a box full of spare parts eventually. this is my primary source of heat. if something happens would like to have spare parts. as far as those nylon parts how difficult are they to replace?

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 9:16 pm

StokerDon wrote:I doubt it, how lucky do you feel?

If your Keystoker has the nylon cam and bumpers you will want to have spares of those on hand first. I would get those from Keystoker. These act like a safety fuse. If the fire burns back to close to the hopper, them melt reducing the stoking to nothing then the fire goes out. If you don't have spares, you don't have heat.

-Don
how do I know? I have never had the stoker apart and not really sure how it comes apart. I do know that my stove was produced april of 2006. I am mechanically inclined but have just never had a stoker apart.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 04, 2015 3:59 am

Keystoker parts are not priced in the same markup as the old Harman parts were.
Give them a shot! ;)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 04, 2015 7:39 am

Orrrrr, check out GRAINGER.com

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 04, 2015 8:34 am

McGiever wrote:Keystoker parts are not priced in the same markup as the old Harman parts were.
Give them a shot! ;)
bingo.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Oct. 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Its also a good idea to support them or your local dealer when you have a good one, I deal directly with alaska because their near me recently I replaced the fire door gasket and noticed the door arm could possibly slip by the latch. I took the door to them and they said that ain't right and replaced it for free and the stove is 12 years old

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”