How Idiot-Proof Is a Stoker?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 7:57 pm

stockingfull wrote: In the two seasons I've been here, mine's never gone out except when I've turned it off
Proof enough for me! :P

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 8:03 pm

coalkirk wrote:
stockingfull wrote: In the two seasons I've been here, mine's never gone out except when I've turned it off
Proof enough for me! :P
Touche' ! bop2

But isn't that a personal attack? ;)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 8:43 pm

:notsure: :roll2: :shh: :whistle: :rimshot:

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 10:50 pm

Having the stoker is great for oddball schedules- fill hopper, empty pan daily-ish or so. Before getting my Mag, I either had to phone home and convince the missus to clean the fire and add coal in my old stove when I'd be back late, or dump out and restart a cold stove when she wouldn't (but she does cook :lol: ). 8-10 hours was a miracle before, 24-36 is normal now. Fired up for the season in late October this year, only lost it once during a power outage since then.

I also bought mine used, and a good once-over like LSFarm suggests should quickly reveal any problems- it's very easy to see into the guts, so any "red-flags" should jump out at you. For $450, even needing a set of grates or new door gaskets is a decent deal.

The biggest difference for us was, getting used to the stove making noise (blower motor, occassional crunch of coal in the stoker, ash coming off the grate into the pan) as opposed to the silent hand-fed. But now, it's just like any other house noise, not even the cats notice it, and they're usually parked right in front of the stove!

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 12:53 am

stratford wrote:Is $450 reasonable for a ~15 year old Harman Magnum Stoker? All those moving parts must wear out...
The only thing I can add to what has been said is that the old flat roof Vs pent Roof firebox design is higher maintenance due to fly ash build up where the flue gas exits the top of the stove. You simply have to shut the stove down and remove the pipe and vacuum in there once per season (possible twice if you burn more than 5 tons of coal or higher than 15% ash). The pent roof types on the newer Harman Magnum Stokers have a small handle connected to an agitator that causes the fly ash to fall into the stove.

My recommendation buy the stove, use it a year, then you can fix it up and sell it and buy a different one if you don't like it. You won't lose money! :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”