Alaska Channing Mark 3, With a Small Coal Fire

rt42

Post by rt42 » Mon. Feb. 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Hello all,
This will be my first full season with coal. We got the stove late last year. Typically the fire in the stove is completely across the grate. Today I have noticed that it is now not fully across but only like 3/4 of the way. My first thought was the grate was plugged up and the air could not get to the coal. However wouldn't that leave unburned coal sitting on the grate? The part that is not burning looks like it has been burnt. I have also noticed that my last few bags of coal have been popping quite a bit. Could it be just some bad coal that is burning too quickly? Usually as the new coal is fed in it is pretty quiet, just popping occasionally. Lately though the new coal is fed in and it always pops quite profusely. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. It does seem to be maintaining house temperature.
Thanks Robert

Hammer8

Post by Hammer8 » Tue. Feb. 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Most likely, you do have a hole blocked in the grate, or at least some partially blocked. I had to clean the holes in my grate once already this year, and I see that I'll have to do it again. Let the hopper empty out completely, and remove the grate when it's cooled off. Then clean the underside with a wire brush and the holes with a drill using a 1/8" bit. I usually then clean out the area under the grate with the Shop-Vac as ell as the whole inside as long as the fire is out. Hope this helps you out.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Feb. 19, 2008 10:25 pm

An even easier way to clean out the grate would be to remove the coal from the grate use a bit to clean the holes. Then remove the combustion fan ( only 1 bolt) and use a shop vac to clean out the underside of the grate. Remember to not overtighten the bolt when re- installing the combustion fan.

rt42

Post by rt42 » Wed. Feb. 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks for the help. I will have to clean the stove out and I will make sure to clean the grate.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”