Ash Build up on Grate

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 9:04 am

Have you added a adjustment flap as was shown above?

Fuel mix ratio is a key part of any/all efficient combustion operations. :idea:

Patton531
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stove
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Patton531 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 12:52 pm

I have the same problem: coal builds up on the grate, and the stove doesn't get hot.

I have two Alaska stoves. They're on different chimneys. One stove (in my "front room") burns hot as can be - it works absolutely fine. the other in my "back room" - not at all, especially when it gets cold outside. The colder it gets outside, the worse the "back" stove performs. When it's warmer out, the "back" stove burns really hot.

My problem began after I installed a stainless steel liner in a chimney that was built around 1940 (best guess). It's made of brick but that's all - no liner (until I put the stainless liner in it).

Most people I talk to say there's too much draft. Unfortunately, I can choke the draft just about completely (using a manual damper) and it doesn't help. I restrict air intake - it helped but only a little.

I really wish I could figure out that the problem is.

Oh, I bought a whole new burner assembly. I put it in the front stove and took the old one from the front stove - because I knew it was working perfectly - and put it in the back stove. Even with a known, good burner assembly, the back stove still produces little heat, especially when it's cold outside.

Gomerpile9541
Stoker Coal Boiler: Channing iii
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Gomerpile9541 » Fri. Oct. 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Has anyone figured this out? Just fired up my Channing and it does the same thing just changed all grate gaskets can’t run the stove up past 2-1/2 thanks in advance

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”