Keystoker A150 Question

kplcoalguy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A150
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by kplcoalguy » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi,

Just got my new Keystoker A150 furnace installed. It has the optional oil burner. Fired up the oil burner as not ready to start burning coal yet. My question/concern is what keep fumes from coming into the house through the stoker up into the coal bin when burning oil? There was nothing in the direction that even mentions what you do when burn oil to keep the fumes from entering up through the coil hopper. I stuffed some insulation in the opening but not sure if that is correct. Want to make sure I am not missing something and don't want to have any carbon monoxide issues. Would appreciate some insight from any other A150 owner who also have the oil burner.

Thanks

Kevin

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I think Keystokers intent was that you have a full hopper of coal while using the oil burner. Your instinct is correct, put something down in the hopper to keep combustion gases from escaping into your home. You do have CO detectors right???

On Monday call Keystoker and find out what they say 570-385-3873. They are very good at handling problems over the phone.

-Don

kplcoalguy
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by kplcoalguy » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Don

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have CO2 detectors and they did not go off. But pretty bad smell in the house but I think that is from the new furnace. Just thinking if you have a hopper full of coal is there a chance that it could catch fire. I will call Keystoker on Monday. I have spoken to them several times and have been very helpful, just surprised that there in no mention of what to do in the instruction manual.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 10:14 pm

They all smell the first time you fire them up. Paints and oils cooking off.

williamjshaver
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: logwood
Coal Size/Type: nut/lump
Other Heating: floydwells cook stove

Post by williamjshaver » Sat. Oct. 05, 2019 4:25 pm

so how has the keystoker 150 been so far... did you install...looking at that as a replacement for my logwood ycof 22...

crazysteamer
Coal Size/Type: Rice (usually Blaschack)
Other Heating: Propane

Post by crazysteamer » Sat. Nov. 02, 2019 7:36 pm

I just installed a Keystoker A150 and it stunk like h*** the first few hours from cooking paint.

I ended up opening all doors and windows to air the place out and was happy my bride was out for the day.

A full coal hopper if running on oil is a good idea....however THEORETICALLY if you have correct draft...air flow should be IN from the hopper rather than out of the hopper..

Remember that the hopper is not an air tight seal at the bottom..so IF you want to seal it, you should probably consider some sort of high temp gasket between the hopper and the stoker mechanism.

With my old Reading unit, sometimes things would get cloggy in the exhaust and when running on coal I used to get 'outgassing' up through the full hopper of coal...and even some leakage AROUND the bottom of the hopper out into the basement. Usually I could smell it long before the CO detector warned me.

First impression(s) of the Keystoker are very positive.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”