Magnum Coal Stoker Feed Motor Leaking

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I have a Harman magnum coal stoker. Stoker was bought around 2005. Today while getting it ready for the heating season I noticed my feed motor was leaking oil. On closer inspection it looks like the bolt that holds the roller in place was hitting the feed motor. Does this looks like it's installed correctly? The bolt is really close to the motor housing. So it looks like i'll be buying a feed motor as well

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 3:17 pm

After you find a replacement motor and see the price, you may want to consider having yours repaired. That motor is the most expensive motor of all residental boilers and stoves.

If you have the ablility to remove that motor, and then just carry it to a motor repair shop, that will likely save you a few bucks.
You can locate motor repair shops in the yellow pages.

Motor repair shops know their business and can advise you of all your options. :idea:

bigstick6017555
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by bigstick6017555 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 4:28 pm

4x4, my Harman is around a 2009 and my roller is held on by a round allen head bolt and has no clearance problem. other than that hex bolt, mine looks the same. my stove began to leak about a year after. I found that the seal was moving out. I took the motor off and drove it back in to position. then I took a sharp center punch and punched at different locations around the outside where the seal sits in as close to the edge as I could( the metal is soft and does not take that much hammering) and it stopped it from moving and leaking, mine is still holding up.

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 2:17 pm

lime4x4 wrote:
Sat. Oct. 11, 2014 1:47 pm
I have a Harman magnum coal stoker. Stoker was bought around 2005. Today while getting it ready for the heating season I noticed my feed motor was leaking oil. On closer inspection it looks like the bolt that holds the roller in place was hitting the feed motor. Does this looks like it's installed correctly? The bolt is really close to the motor housing. So it looks like i'll be buying a feed motor as well

What did you end up doing about the feeder motor? my harman stoker is 12yrs old and the distribution fan went out but also noticed an oily substance in a drip pan i set under the dist\combution fans to catch overflow fines. now i am worrying that the stove is beginning to fall apart

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 5:27 pm

I ended up buying a new feed motor.

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 7:45 pm

lime4x4 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 5:27 pm
I ended up buying a new feed motor.
was it fairly straight forward to replace or alot of work? I took my plate off and my motor looks fairly clean so thinking the oil was from the distribution motor that crapped.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 8:56 pm

jimbo970 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 7:45 pm
was it fairly straight forward to replace or alot of work? I took my plate off and my motor looks fairly clean so thinking the oil was from the distribution motor that crapped.
No oil will drip from that distribution fan, unless you added too much oil to it. Not enough from factory to make even one drop.

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 9:10 pm

If i remember correctly it wasn't that bad to replace but at the time i had the whole unit apart for cleaning

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:32 am

So I am noticing a little grease\oil on the auger push arm? the shaft that goes over the long screw that allows you to dial the feed amount. When I take off the black plate like the last pi above there is no sign of oil or in the little square openning below. When I added oil to the two oil fills before the season I did notice the area was a bit greasy but not excessive. Since its been really cold and I had to go a few days without a distribution fan I dont want to let in run down to take the hopper off right now. I feed\ pusher block is working but the last stroke the arm seems to ride up a bit and make a little noice. I will try to capture a short video. I am wondering if this is normal or might be an issue that can be corrected before it cant. ideas?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:47 am

20141011_134208.jpg
.JPG | 83.1KB | 20141011_134208.jpg
The video will help but if i understand your description correctly the upward movement is not an issue.

I have had a noise (sort of a squeak) on mine occasionally. The squeak on mine came from the round bushing that contacts the fork arms as the feeder motor shaft rotates. Red arrow in pic, bushing on backside. I out a drop or two of oil on that bushing and the squeak went away.

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 10:42 am

titleist1 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:47 am
20141011_134208.jpg
The video will help but if i understand your description correctly the upward movement is not an issue.

I have had a noise (sort of a squeak) on mine occasionally. The squeak on mine came from the round bushing that contacts the fork arms as the feeder motor shaft rotates. Red arrow in pic, bushing on backside. I out a drop or two of oil on that bushing and the squeak went away.
:arrow:
titleist1 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 8:47 am
20141011_134208.jpgThe video will help but if i understand your description correctly the upward movement is not an issue.

do you have a short video of the arm with the wing nut on the end going in\out during its cycle. mine tilts up slightly on its way out and there is a noise at that time

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 11:31 am

Here is a short video showing the slight drop of the rod....i think you can hear the 'clink' as it drops. Can you tell on yours if the end of the tube around the threaded rod splayed at the pusher block end ?
FeedRod.wmv
.WMV | 17.1MB | FeedRod.wmv

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 11:46 am

titleist1 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 11:31 am
Here is a short video showing the slight drop of the rod....i think you can hear the 'clink' as it drops. Can you tell on yours if the end of the tube around the threaded rod splayed at the pusher block end ?

FeedRod.wmv
mine is pretty much the same with the same klink sound. i will still take a vid later when home but are you sayong this is norm. also what do you mean by splayed at pusher block end. i will need to remove hopper but when i had hopper off in nov i didnt notice except i had to push the rod shaft in to get it to grab the block. the long screw was screwed into block and i couldnt unscrew it from the pusher block and didnt want to force it so i did not try.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 12:07 pm

This slight drop movement is normal as far as I know. I have had a unit that dropped a lot more than that but it was because the end of the tube at the pusher block was deformed, spread open a bit, "splayed" is my word for it. If i remember correctly it had a slight split in the tube. When i replaced the tubing on the threaded rod the extra up/down movement was gone, it was back to the very slight drop like you see here. I think that was the unit we put in at a friends house a few years ago. It has been running fine for him since. I helped him start it up this year....it needed a good cleaning, lots of fines from the tray overflowing but running well.

RFK
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Rice or Stove Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric

Post by RFK » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 10:59 pm

My feed stroke looks the same as in the video. I have the click noise at the end of the retraction stroke as well. Also had a periodic squeak. Recently noticed my feed motor is beginning to leak slightly. Oil has coated the roller bearing from the leak and squeak is gone. I just ordered a new feed motor and combustion blower for backups from Pricefalls.com Marketplace. Best prices I could find on the web.
Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”