Harmon SF-160 Consideration

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 7:39 pm

My parents have a ranch style 1350 square foot house and its currently using an LP water furnace. Their basement is a full size basement thats not finished but very nice condition.

He has a wood stove in the basement thats connected to his block chimney thats less than 1 yr old. They are considering an indoor boiler thats tied into their water furnace to replace the wood stove. I have suggested the Harman SF-160. Because of his easy access to wood, he would be able to use it. He also could purchase coal if he decides too later on.

Would this be the indoor boiler for his application? My idea was to tie his current water lines into this boiler. His current thermostat that operates his LP water furnace would turn ON/OFF the water pump. I would just turn off the gas going to the furnace but use its pump to circulate the water threw the boiler. Or does water need to constantly flow?

Ideas?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Rex wrote:I have suggested the Harman SF-160. Because of his easy access to wood, he would be able to use it. He also could purchase coal if he decides too later on.

Would this be the indoor boiler for his application? My idea was to tie his current water lines into this boiler. His current thermostat that operates his LP water furnace would turn ON/OFF the water pump. I would just turn off the gas going to the furnace but use its pump to circulate the water threw the boiler.

Or does water need to constantly flow?
That is a stove, not a boiler. I believe it will burn both wood and coal. It burns coal rather well as I understand.

A coal boiler can be tied into his present system and run off his thermostat. It can be wired so the LP takes back over if the coal quits. This is how I heat my home, I believe it be the best possible way to heat a home.

No the water only flows when the thermostat calls for heat.

:)

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 10:13 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Rex wrote:I have suggested the Harman SF-160. Because of his easy access to wood, he would be able to use it. He also could purchase coal if he decides too later on.

Would this be the indoor boiler for his application? My idea was to tie his current water lines into this boiler. His current thermostat that operates his LP water furnace would turn ON/OFF the water pump. I would just turn off the gas going to the furnace but use its pump to circulate the water threw the boiler.

Or does water need to constantly flow?
That is a stove, not a boiler. I believe it will burn both wood and coal. It burns coal rather well as I understand.

A coal boiler can be tied into his present system and run off his thermostat. It can be wired so the LP takes back over if the coal quits. This is how I heat my home, I believe it be the best possible way to heat a home.

No the water only flows when the thermostat calls for heat.

:)
According to their web site its called the Harman SF-160 Central Heating Trident Wood/Coal Boilers. So why do you disagree with the company when they call it a boiler? Doesn't this unit heat water thus called a boiler?

Anyway thanks for the info.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Rex wrote:So why do you disagree with the company when they call it a boiler?
:oops: You are correct, it is a boiler and will do as was described. The problem is I can't see very well and typed in SF-150, which turns out to be a stove. :roll:

Rex

Post by Rex » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 11:28 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Rex wrote:So why do you disagree with the company when they call it a boiler?
:oops: You are correct, it is a boiler and will do as was described. The problem is I can't see very well and typed in SF-150, which turns out to be a stove. :roll:
Hey no problem.. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”