Alaska Channing III Stoves

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Hello

I have an Alaska Channing III Stove, It is heat my 1875 2400 sqft house without any trouble in WNY. My stove as started to make noise when feeding coal, it sounds like a ticking noise. I took off the connecting arm last night, it was not loose and looked like it was in good shape. I then greased the fitting and manually moved the 1/2 moon shaped auger until it moved freely. To make a long story short, the noise is still there. Has anyone else had the same troubles??? any help would be nice.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Hello Marshal, some additional information to help us help you:

Is the noise only noticable when you are loading coal, when the cover is off the coal hopper???
Did you try emptying the hopper completely, and look at the feeder to see if there is a large piece of coal or piece of rock causing the noise..

How frequent is the 'ticking' once every second, more frequent like from a motor? or less frequent??

Can you 'touch' the hopper, or the feed mechanism and 'feel' the noise??

I'd bet on a piece of rock or large coal being hit by the feeder bar. But I'm really just guessing..

Greg L

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 4:00 pm

You could have some coal or fines stuck in/around or under the pusher block area, you may have to unload it and remove the mechanism and clean it out good. It should work fine, just makes noise...my Hyfire does the same thing when it get something stuck under it, it makes a clicking noise when it stokes the coal....it sometimes goes away after a while if it wears the piece down enough.

On my Hyfire, you can drop the stoker mechanism and slide the plate back and forth to clear it out.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 4:35 pm

The two Channing III units that I have seen running both make the same tick tick tick sound when the stoker motor is running.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 9:45 pm

The motors on the channing III units do make a destinctive noise which to me sounds like a wind up toy but softer. I haven't seen one yet that is basically silent. Does the feed motor make this sound the entire time it runs or only at certain points of the rotation. Was the paddle binding before you greased the shaft. If so You could have some fines down in the bushing and you will need to pull the paddle out and clean both the shaft and the bushing, insert and re grease .
Last edited by jpen1 on Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshall

Post by Marshall » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 9:28 am

The stove has gotten quiter in the last 24 hours on its own. The paddle was very stiff, I greased it and it started moving better. I think I may have had something stuck under the paddle. Do you think that the wet coal helps lube the paddle area???? My stove after I have run it real slow seems to start making this noise. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help.

JPletch

Post by JPletch » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 10:54 am

The auger on my Alaska stove is making a clunking/knocking noise. I cleaned out the hopper to make sure there wasn't any obstruction. With an empty hopper I was able to apply resistance to the auger and create the noise. The auger knocks and bounces slightly. Any ideas on the solution?

CrazyHorse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska channing III
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil boiler

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 7:52 pm

I have had the same stove for well over 5yrs, I really like it. The blower motor on mine always has made weird noises. The other night it sounded like microwave popcorn, checked the feed motor and it was fine. I forgot I didn't have a piece of 2x4 wedged underneath it. Sounds cobbed up but it works, I have tightened the bolts on it, have it serviced every year and the only fix for mine is the 2x4. By blower motor I mean the one that blows the hot air not the direct vent motor

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”