Harman DVC-500 or LL Power Vent

KC2LLW
Other Heating: wood stoves Moe all nighter, Vermont Castings

Post by KC2LLW » Sun. May. 18, 2014 9:50 am

Hello,
I have a chance to get a new Harman DVC-500 at a good price 2k I am torn between that and a LL power vent model such as a Pocono I have no chimmney so need the power vent or direct vent can anyone help me in a decision? Is the Harman a good stove? The only thing holding me back on the Harman is the way it has to vent using a candy cane type vent outside verse the cleaner look of a power vent. Also what is better PV or DV? Are the very noisy and between the two which one is louder?
Thanks,
Steve

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sun. May. 18, 2014 2:20 pm

I have a DVC500 for 14 yrs and am very happy with it,I only need to run it on low heat output,which it does no prob.I never used the candy cane,just an elbow to keep exhaust and intake separated,works great.No idea about LL stove.

KC2LLW

Post by KC2LLW » Sun. May. 18, 2014 3:27 pm

fifthg wrote:I have a DVC500 for 14 yrs and am very happy with it,I only need to run it on low heat output,which it does no prob.I never used the candy cane,just an elbow to keep exhaust and intake separated,works great.No idea about LL stove.
Fifthg,
Would you have a pic of your vent? Also how is the noise of the fans?
Thanks
Steve

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sun. May. 18, 2014 4:00 pm

I don't have a picture,I just attached a 4" truck exhaust pipe to the Harman wall vent.Piece of cake.Not approved by Harman.I think the candy cane is over-engineering,for liability protection.My objectives were just to keep exhaust and intake separate,and not dump exhaust where it could be a problem,so it was not difficult in my situation.I thought if I couldn't keep a draft,I would add candy cane,never had a problem,and you might have different conditions. As for fan noise,it can be annoying,if you want true silence.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. May. 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Sounds like you're looking at two good units. The only drawback I've got with the DVC-500 is that they're no longer in Production. You'd be wise to do some homework on Proprietary(made by Harman only) spares availability and maybe put some on the shelf for well down the road. I like Leisure Line Products and the fact that the Owners-Dave and Matt maintain a high presence here. Advice and Support are a valued thing. I've got an Old Harman Magnum Stoker and it has served me well. Do some poking around in Our Archive(Use the Google Custom Search Bar in the upper right hand corner) in order to arm yourself with info to make a good choice. Good Luck,and Good Hunting! :up:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. May. 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I run and operate both stoves and this is how I see it. The DVC is much prettier but more troublesome and much less controllable. It's how you rank your priorities and to me things go wrong at the worst time, Murphy was definitely an optimist. I get much better service from LL. Coaltrol is a more reliable and flexible control system than the Harman control system - period. However, there are members operating DVCs successfully and they seem to like them. Do not limit your choices to those two as there are other options too. LOL.

KC2LLW

Post by KC2LLW » Mon. May. 19, 2014 11:52 am

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I think I may go with the DVC-500 l just feel the deal is too good to pass up. I have heard good and horror stories on the DVC I feel it is how you take care of it. I have checked and seems like parts will be available for a long time. This will be my first coal stove, If I like this one I may put a coal boiler in my basement.
Thanks,
Steve

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. May. 20, 2014 12:32 pm

KC2LLW wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their input. I think I may go with the DVC-500 l just feel the deal is too good to pass up. I have heard good and horror stories on the DVC I feel it is how you take care of it. I have checked and seems like parts will be available for a long time. This will be my first coal stove, If I like this one I may put a coal boiler in my basement.
Thanks,
Steve
DVC 500 for 2k . I don't think you could go wrong. But find out the cost of the special pipe first and how much you would need. Any reason you could not do a Class A chimney.? A little more money in the initial outlay but rapidly pays for itself short term. Especially if you could install it yourself.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. May. 20, 2014 12:43 pm

DVC 500 for 2k
That is not a bargain that is what they fetch and less and there is a reason. You get what you pay for.

KC2LLW

Post by KC2LLW » Tue. May. 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
KC2LLW wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their input. I think I may go with the DVC-500 l just feel the deal is too good to pass up. I have heard good and horror stories on the DVC I feel it is how you take care of it. I have checked and seems like parts will be available for a long time. This will be my first coal stove, If I like this one I may put a coal boiler in my basement.
Thanks,
Steve
DVC 500 for 2k . I don't think you could go wrong. But find out the cost of the special pipe first and how much you would need. Any reason you could not do a Class A chimney.? A little more money in the initial outlay but rapidly pays for itself short term. Especially if you could install it yourself.
I thought about the SS class A chimney but would be visable from the street and think it would look funny this would vent to the side and be hidden. I would much like a hand feed stove but not pratical in my sistuation, not crazy about fan nosie but all in all I feel the DVC is a good deal I belive my rep said $120 for the termination vent.

KC2LLW

Post by KC2LLW » Tue. May. 20, 2014 12:47 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
DVC 500 for 2k
That is not a bargain that is what they fetch and less and there is a reason. You get what you pay for.
Really? I was told 4K

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. May. 20, 2014 12:56 pm

I did not say that is what the retail was, I said that is what they fetch but if you like the stove go for it.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Tue. May. 20, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KC2LLW

Post by KC2LLW » Tue. May. 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Oh ok because I walked into the dealer on friday looking for a gas stove and asked if he sold coal stoves and he brought me to the back room to show me a deal of a lifetime as he stated and there sat a brand new DVC which he would let go for 2K

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. May. 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Don't forget to post pics when it's installed, we love pics. Straight install or kitty corner? Make sure that 9" hole is exactly cut right.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Tue. May. 20, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. May. 20, 2014 1:04 pm

P.S. I would still rather you buy the Leisure Line. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”