Insulating Your Furnace?

Jared43758
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557
Coal Size/Type: Run of the mine

Post by Jared43758 » Mon. Apr. 28, 2014 4:50 am

So my buddy has a hotblast similar to mine. He has his setting out on his front porch, and the hot air and return air piped through the wall. He was heating up the porch too much I guess from radiant heat. Well he got fire proof insulation and wrapped his stove. Now it's cool on his porch. Well my daughters room is upstairs right above my furnace. Sometimes her room gets pretty hot from the radiant heat. Is insulating the outside of my box a bad idea? Wrap my box? It would have to force hotter air through the ducts but the furnace concerns is what I have.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Apr. 28, 2014 5:59 am

Is the floor in your daughter's room getting pretty warm?

Can you close her vent some?

Lu47Dan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sears circulator air tight stove.
Other Heating: Crown 115,000 BTU oil fired boiler(house) Weil Mclain 150,000BTU oil fired boiler(Shop)

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon. Apr. 28, 2014 9:27 am

The less heat loss from the furnace body itself will increase the efficiency of the furnace. Now as to wrapping it will insulation to cut down on the heat escaping would be okay as long as that is the problem. With any hand fired furnace, you have a large door that radiates heat into the room, you can not get away from that. If the majority of the heat gain is coming from the door than you are not going to gain much by insulating the body.
If the shell is warmer than the air temperature than adding a layer of insulation to the body would cut down on the heat loss into the room and since heat rises would in turn cut the heat infiltration into your daughters room.
I would insulate with fiberglass board insulation not roll, it can be made to fit tighter to the furnaces shell than the blanket type does.
http://www.buyinsulationproductstore.com/servlet/ ... ard/Detail
And remember any exposed uninsulated duct work and add to the heat in the room from air leaks and radiant energy.
What it all comes down to is how much heat is lost into the room around the furnace.
Dan.

Jared43758
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hotblast 1557
Coal Size/Type: Run of the mine

Post by Jared43758 » Mon. Apr. 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Ok thanks. I have closed off every duct work there is to the room and sealed all the vents off in the basement which helped a lot but it still gets pretty hot in her room so I'll try my best with the insulation

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”