Stoker With Smallest Footprint

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:08 pm

I am thinking about putting a stoker in place of my existing oil furnace. The room is small (I don't have the measurements handy). I know I would need to put up 1 inch wall spacers and hope that it will fit while allowing access to load the hopper and empty the ash pan.

I've read an older post that suggested Leisure Line 'Lil Heater. I also see one named Lil' Heater Sidewinder.

Any thoughts on this model? Any other suggestions on other models? I'm also trying to find dimensions and clearances but cannot find this info on leisure line. Thanks
Last edited by skobydog on Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitzer 50-93
Open Floor Plan
Stove is located on the first floor/living room
Heating appr 2,200 sq ft
House built 1976
Moderate Insulation

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Small footprint = Small output, but maybe this is what you figure on.

Is a boiler out of the question?
Last edited by McGiever on Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

plumber
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Furnace, as in warm air?
Ernie

Feet and knees together

skobydog

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Furnace as in warm air.....

I wanted to put this in my cellar to keep it warm down there. No option for a boiler. I have a hand-fed upstairs was thinking about something small for the downstairs.
Hitzer 50-93
Open Floor Plan
Heating appr 2,200 sq ft
House built 1976
Moderate Insulation

plumber

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:42 pm

To my knowledge the Leisure Line AK-110.
Ernie

Feet and knees together

skobydog

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I don't think I could replace my oil furnace with a coal furnace due to the size of the room.

I don't really need my existing oil furnace so I was going to remove it and put in a small stoker just enough to keep the downstairs warm. I already have a hand-fed upstairs so a small stoker should work for down there.

The Leisure Line website doesn't list clearance specs for their Lil Heater.
Hitzer 50-93
Open Floor Plan
Heating appr 2,200 sq ft
House built 1976
Moderate Insulation

Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:58 pm

skobydog wrote:I don't think I could replace my oil furnace with a coal furnace due to the size of the room.

I don't really need my existing oil furnace so I was going to remove it and put in a small stoker just enough to keep the downstairs warm. I already have a hand-fed upstairs so a small stoker should work for down there.

We need to update that. The clearances are the same as the pioneer and old econo.
http://www.leisurelinestove.com

You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

skobydog

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
skobydog wrote:I don't think I could replace my oil furnace with a coal furnace due to the size of the room.

We need to update that. The clearances are the same as the pioneer and old econo.
Disregard post
Last edited by skobydog on Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitzer 50-93
Open Floor Plan
Heating appr 2,200 sq ft
House built 1976
Moderate Insulation

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Not trying to lose a sale for LL,but is the Hitzer 50-93 capable of heating your sq,footage ?? if so ,keep the oil furnace & wire the circulation fan to run all the time at a low speed which would then distribute the warm air to all parts of the house ( assuming that air ducts & vents are throughout all of the areas you are looking to heat. This option would have the oil burner as a backup unit for travel times.
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

skobydog

Post Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:01 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Not trying to lose a sale for LL,but is the Hitzer 50-93 capable of heating your sq,footage ?? if so ,keep the oil furnace & wire the circulation fan to run all the time at a low speed which would then distribute the warm air to all parts of the house ( assuming that air ducts & vents are throughout all of the areas you are looking to heat. This option would have the oil burner as a backup unit for travel times.
I tried that with "some" success but I didn't like the furnace running 24/7. I now see there are products out there and thermostats themselves that can run the fan for various amount of times also but I think the better solution would be a stove down there.
Hitzer 50-93
Open Floor Plan
Heating appr 2,200 sq ft
House built 1976
Moderate Insulation

blrman07
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.

Post Sun. Mar. 30, 2014 12:26 am

I never encourage anyone to pull out their existing oil boiler. Keep it as a backup not only for when you go out of town but just in case you get sick, break a leg or some other catastrophy. I got a severe case of the flu this winter and was in bed with double vision and a fever for 3 days. I was able to leave the house again after about 9 days. It really smacked me good. If we hadn't had the oil boiler as a backup we would have had a problem since my wife can't handle the coal or the ashes due to her asthma and small size. She's 4-11".

Keep that oil boiler as a backup.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

plumber

Post Sun. Mar. 30, 2014 8:56 am

I'll have to put my two cents in and agree with the good Reverend, I've made that mistake.

My house got heavily damaged by a large tree, and we were displaced for a few months. The hotel we were living in was an hour away, and we had to make the trip daily to ensure the house has heat.
Ernie

Feet and knees together

tjnamtiw
Other Heating: Sopka Cook stove

Post Sun. Mar. 30, 2014 10:19 am

Why not move your hand fed downstairs and put a new stoker upstairs so you have less mess in your living space?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”