Feed

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 10:46 am

Where do you live? Perhaps there is someone nearby that can help. If not, you will have to call in a pro.

em

Post by em » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 11:01 am

I am in central Pa. A pro is not an option because of cost. (Don't mean to plead poverty but its just my 18 yr old son and myself and simply cannot afford a pro, leaving all maintenance/problems to him and myself).

Dragonslayer
Stoker Coal Boiler: Yellow Flame w/model A stoker

Post by Dragonslayer » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 12:32 pm

EM,
Have your son remove the bolt and round roller on the gearbox wheel. He should then be able to push the long flat arm back and forth and prove that the grate frame inside moves freely without binding. If the grate frame does not move freely the side rail installation needs to be re-checked, something is binding. If it does move freely the I would suspect that the gearbox is possibly slipping and/or coupler is slipping.
Hope this helps.
Dragonslayer

em

Post by em » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 12:39 pm

OK, thanks, I leave for work soon and he comes from work soon so I will leave a note. That sounds like a good idea to try. Thank you again

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Em and dragonslayer, I see you're both in central PA. House call???

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 8:49 pm

em,

If it's making a noise inside the fire box it is very likely something is jamming the grate. Dragonslayer's suggestion is a good one. Remove the feed adjustment screw and see if you can work the lever back and forth. If it's a piece of coal stuck between the grate and the side rail, you may be able to work it out by working the lever back and forth. If not, you may have to shut down and clean the coal out to have a look.
YFstokerMechResto5 015.JPG
.JPG | 67.8KB | YFstokerMechResto5 015.JPG
YFstokerMechResto5 016.JPG
.JPG | 107.9KB | YFstokerMechResto5 016.JPG
YFstokerMechResto5 020.JPG
.JPG | 105KB | YFstokerMechResto5 020.JPG
If you are still having problems by Saturday, I could come by and take a look at it. That is if you aren't more than an hour or two from the York PA area.

I will send you a PM later this week.

-Don

em

Post by em » Thu. Apr. 03, 2014 12:11 am

I think we are back on track....Hope so any how. I left a note for my son with the info from above and when I got home tonight it seems to be working right. He was sleeping (we have 2 different work schedules and I usually don't even get to see him until the weekends). Also Don, I am actually 1 1/2 hrs from York. I am just above Dalmatia. My other son married a wonderful girl from Brogue and he had lived in York a bit so I been in York (getting out of there is a different story because I have no sense of direction). Thanks for the offer but (knock on wood) lets hope this time it's going to work fine.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Apr. 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Ahh,,, Brogue, I am about 20 minutes from there.

I'm glad your running normally now. The Yellow Flame stoker is one very tough piece of equipment. It would have eventualy ground down what ever was making the noise and spit it out, then resume normal operations.

Hopefully I will be headed up to the Shamokin are this weekend to pick up some Yellow Flame spare parts for myself!

-Don

em

Post by em » Thu. Apr. 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Have a great weekend and again thanks all who helped us with these great suggestions. So far everything is running great.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”