Replace a Wood Stove?

char1300
Stoker Coal Boiler: leisure line hyfire 2 w/coaltrol 03-25-2014
Other Heating: shenandoah wood stove

Post by char1300 » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 6:53 pm

yeah the stove will be going in my living room but the wood stove I have is no fancy thing either function over cosmetics. that big hopper would be nice for when i'm away really want a set it and forget it .

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Just remember, mostly, things are only as complicated as ya make them. After a short set up, you'll be happily amazed with the simplicity--safety being at the fore front:)
char1300 wrote:cant quite be that easy there's flu damping the power vent thing a meter measuring something or rather!!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 8:44 pm

[quote="char1300"]a main concern of mine is getting it installed ![/quote]

and besides the forum we're all around you...I think :?

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Rick 386 wrote:
char1300 wrote:cant quite be that easy there's flu damping the power vent thing a meter measuring something or rather!!
All you would need is the stove, barometric damper, and a manometer to measure the draft. You already got the "chimley..."
I would probably have the "chimley" cleaned first. Get all that nasty creosote out of it and you are done.

And as Dave alluded to, you probably would not need the Hyfire II. That is a big stove but you could only burn the one burner. And with the hopper size, I doubt she would have to fill it. She could wait for you to get home. Also with the large ash pan, that would probably go a day or so before needing emptying.

I have a Hyfire II and it does work great. But it is a workhorse and does not have all the fancy decorations and chrome on it.

Rick
Like we do with the Pocono we can do the double rails and ash vendor on the hyfire. They look nice.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 10, 2014 8:52 pm

freetown fred wrote:Just remember, mostly, things are only as complicated as ya make them. After a short set up, you'll be happily amazed with the simplicity--safety being at the fore front:)
No kiddin'. I speak to people almost daily that have not touched their stove in like 5yrs aside from filling the hopper and emptying the ashes. A few can probably speak up here, because I know I steered a few to this site. I do not recommend going that long between cleanings. Those phone calls all start out as. "My stove just doesn't heat like it used to" :)

char1300

Post by char1300 » Tue. Mar. 11, 2014 8:31 am

thanks everyone this truly was a helpful now who helps me convince my girlfriend :D :shock: :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 11, 2014 4:21 pm

If she don't see the serious benefits in this, maybe ya need to find a new more progressive girlfriend!! Oh yeah, that's what we all need, the new & improved edition! --NOT--:clap: toothy

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Mar. 11, 2014 6:01 pm

char1300 wrote:thanks everyone this truly was a helpful now who helps me convince my girlfriend :D :shock: :D
OK how's this....... I have a Hyfire II in the large 2 car garage/woodshop at home. It has the coaltrol on it. Does NOT have the heat jacket on it either. I am just using the built in distribution fans with the big plate on top of the stove. It is mainly out there to keep the pipes from freezing and it also keeps the mother in law's cats warm. The thermostat is set for 55* The adjoining woodshop has an attic above it. The MIL keeps the trap door open with a piece of 4x4 because the 1 damn cat likes to go up there to look out the windows.

I tended the stove on Saturday night emptying the ash pan and filling the hopper. I only have the left side burner operating. Now I know that we have had some warmer days but there is still snow around the fields and it does drop into the lower 30's at night. I have not had to empty the ash pan since then. I just shovel the ashes to the other side of the pan. Yesterday morning I added about 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail of coal and this morning was only 1/2 pail.

The thing is basically idling along not consuming much at all.

When it was damn cod out, the most I used was close to 3- 3/4 full pails per day. The ash pan would be about 2/3 full each 24 hour period all while maintaining that 55* temp. And during the real cold spell, I did light the second burner.

Will this testimonial do ?????

Rick

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Mar. 11, 2014 7:21 pm

char1300 wrote:thanks everyone this truly was a helpful now who helps me convince my girlfriend :D :shock: :D
Let her talk to my wife. She let me buy a stove company. Hows that? :)

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Mar. 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Flyer5 wrote:.......

Let her talk to my wife. She let me buy a stove company. Hows that? :)
Damn, here I was thinking I could at least get a LL coffee cup or a T shirt with my glowing endorsement.
But then Dave has to come back with the topper of all toppers.

You win Dave !!!!!!!! :notworthy: :clap: :up:

Rick

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Mar. 12, 2014 8:10 am

If a coal stove owner, especially a stoker (automatic feed) owner does not maintain his stove with periodic maintenance, the potential for Carbon Monoxide issues is greater than a wood stove. This is due to the accumulation of ash in predominantly the exhaust pipes.

Any coal stove owner should also have a couple of Carbon Monoxide detectors that are known to be new or fairly new, they wear out after ~5 years of use. I write the "new" battery date on the plastic housing each time it is replaced.

Coal is safe if you know the basic physics behind the device, this suggests a meter that measures draft . This meter is especially important in warmer weather experienced at the beginning and end of the heating season.

If are not willing to apply yourself to learning these type of considerations please do not purchase one.

Apologies for the semi-harsh opinions though safety is #1.

Ug

char1300

Post by char1300 » Thu. Mar. 13, 2014 4:04 am

rick that sounds great cant wait to show her how easy and awesome the hyfire is going to be!!

char1300

Post by char1300 » Thu. Mar. 13, 2014 4:10 am

my girlfriend is my new and improved model :D
whooa dave a whole company I just need one stove and a happy girl :D

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Mar. 13, 2014 4:54 am

Flyer5 wrote:BTW. If you have any questions about the Hyfire or anything else we you can give us a call as well. Or PM Me. My only question is do you actually need a hyfire? . Thanks, Dave [Phone Number Removed]
I would talk to the guys at Leisure Line... based on your house and sq' I believe a Hyfire would be HUGE overkill (check out the specs on the #1 selling Pioneer or maybe even the Sidewinder if you want the unit right up against the chimney).

char1300

Post by char1300 » Fri. Mar. 14, 2014 3:26 pm

is huge over kill a bad thing I know the pioneer would heat my place but I do like the extra hopper capacity plus I would only have to run half the hyfire...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”