No Heat??? Why Leisure Line Is the Best!

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sat. Mar. 08, 2014 2:54 am

Came home to a cold shop after a night out-ouch, not good. Everything was running on my 7 yo Pioneer...except the stoker motor. No feed, no coal, no heat.Noticed earlier that it sounded strained and uneven when running. Thought I would check it out in spring as it was making heat. Didn't make it to spring-it was stopped dead! Pulled the stoker down, couldn't move
it-nothing. So I think I'll call in the am and get a motor/gear unit sent out.Figure next day it, and it would be back up in a couple days. Problem is -can't shut down the
office for a couple days-have to have it. Soooo-I poke around the stoker unit. Take the gear box cover
off and see the problem. The grease had broken down and gone solid, was a virtual glue on the gear faces on the cover side. Makes sense as this is a rear vent stove and unit gets blasted by heat all the time. Pulled gears, cleaned them and the case. Hit it with high temp chain lube, put it all back together.
Bingo-it works-smooth and steady! Put some hi temp metal tape under the unit as a make shift heat shield- figure it can't hurt.
The design of this unit and the parts in it allowed me to get back to making heat in under 30 mins with basic mechanical skills and 0 replacement parts! Does not get any better in the machine world-nice job guys! Can't speak for other brands, just what I've seen here really. But there is no doubt in my mind that LL products are the best. No scarey problems like hopper fires etc, dirt simple, RELIABLE
and easy to maintain and repair. These units are as good as coal burning gets. If your jumping into coal, upgrading, what ever, buy LL, you'll not regret it.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 08, 2014 7:12 am

Is that you in disguise Dave :) :) - just kidding.

I am sure if you got Dave a little drunk he would complain about customer servicing costs. When the weather turns really nasty I am totally dependent on my coal stoves. I do have dedundancy but it's coal backed up by coal therefore good customer service is a must. Now we come to part two and that is maintenance, how far do you go? My first Pocono is now 5-or 6 years old (I forget), I've lubricated the motors and cleaned the stove every spring. I disconnect the powervent and put plywood over the hole and wrap it up with damprid inside as summer rusting is a major issue. This summer all motors are going to be replaced including the powervent. The stove owes me nothing but like a car/truck concientious maintenance is worth it. So my (now) free stove is good to carry on saving me thousands every year until forever.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Mar. 08, 2014 8:32 am

coalnewbie wrote:Is that you in disguise Dave :) :) - just kidding.

I am sure if you got Dave a little drunk he would complain about customer servicing costs. When the weather turns really nasty I am totally dependent on my coal stoves. I do have dedundancy but it's coal backed up by coal therefore good customer service is a must. Now we come to part two and that is maintenance, how far do you go? My first Pocono is now 5-or 6 years old (I forget), I've lubricated the motors and cleaned the stove every spring. I disconnect the powervent and put plywood over the hole and wrap it up with damprid inside as summer rusting is a major issue. This summer all motors are going to be replaced including the powervent. The stove owes me nothing but like a car/truck concientious maintenance is worth it. So my (now) free stove is good to carry on saving me thousands every year until forever.
No Simon. You are supposed to just buy a new stove every year. Don't bother cleaning it. Nothing like that new stove smell.

Thanks for the kind words Paulie.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Sat. Mar. 08, 2014 11:05 am

I clean stove and lube the motors, clean the power vent and wrap it up in plastic for the non burning months. That happens once a year...usually. Have I skipped a year along the way? Yes, no doubt. Bottom line is, with no local dealer for support/parts-I am warm. My only 'no heat call' in
7 years of heavy use was solved in less than 30 min, in the cold, with simple hand tools. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”