What Are You Burning in Your AK-110

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Mike69

Post Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Hello All,
I will be getting my AK-110 soon and was wondering what is the best size (pea etc...) to burn in them before I go and by a few tons of the wrong stuff?

Thanks
Mike

Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Rice is what is recommended. Buckwheat can be burned but harder to throttle down in the milder weather. Thanks, Dave
http://www.leisurelinestove.com

You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 6:57 pm

My third season only burning rice. Congrats on a nice stove. Can you give details of the install, I might learn something.
Posted by an unreasonable adult.

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: AK-110

Post Tue. Mar. 04, 2014 8:35 am

I burned buckwheat early in the season (oct-nov) and seemed to go through more than I had hoped with warmer temps outside. Once it got cold in December it seemed to burn more efficiently. I changed remainder of my coal order (3 tons) to rice because of my early season experiences with the buckwheat and now wished I hadn't. I seemed to be filling the hopper more with the rice when the outside temps were pretty steady. Next year I am going to try rice in fall and spring and buckwheat though the winter.

Of course I have no scientific evidence to back up my statements, just my experiences. :D

I am on track to burn 5 ton this year. 2 of buckwheat and 3 of rice (1650 sqft well-insulated raised ranch)

Mark.

Please show install photos, fellow AK110er.
Sent from my Corded Rotary Dial Phone.

Mark

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”