Harmon Stoker

Kubota2007
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magmun 20yrs old,Harmon Super Mag just installed.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric,

Post by Kubota2007 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 1:44 pm

I read in another post where a few have been running the combustion fan all the time, anyone find that this helps?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Most stoves run the combustion blower all the time, on some stoves, it gives a better burn. You just might have to adjust it so it doesn't run TOO hot or produce too much heat. I know some of the Harmens with the Underfed design, have a deeper coal bed and doesn't need the fan to run all the time.

Do a search, it's been discussed numerous times.
Both my Keystoker and Leisure Line run the combustion blower 100% all the time.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I only run the combustion fan all the time when it is very cold out and this winter that has been since New Years!

I found it burns the coal more thoroughly and keeps the stove temp higher between 'stat calls for heat so ramp up is much quicker.

I think Coalkirk on his VF3000 boiler (same control box) has his combustion blower set up to run at a lower speed during idle time and a higher speed during 'stat calls for heat.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Mon. Feb. 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I run mine all the time and it gives me more complete burns and more consistent heat. I look at it like a handfed stove; they get constant combustion air, we just have to force ours under the grates.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 8:03 am

titleist1 wrote:I only run the combustion fan all the time when it is very cold out and this winter that has been since New Years!

I found it burns the coal more thoroughly and keeps the stove temp higher between 'stat calls for heat so ramp up is much quicker.

I think Coalkirk on his VF3000 boiler (same control box) has his combustion blower set up to run at a lower speed during idle time and a higher speed during 'stat calls for heat.
Yes I run mine all the time as Titleist1 desribed. Runs at a reduced speed when not on a call for heat or a miantenance cycle.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 8:31 am

My Super Mag runs all the time. No big deal. My MKIII use to have the blower running 24/7 as well and it's the same motor. It was still running strong after 6 seasons or so.
I assume this is one of the changes Harman made in going to the Super Mag. There isn't a setting to shut the combustion blower down. Just the feed rate cuts back automatically as well as the distribution blower.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 8:41 am

captcaper...on your supermag.... is the combustion blower 75cfm and does the controller vary its speed based on calls for heat or does it run the same speed all the time?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 6:31 am

titleist1 wrote:captcaper...on your supermag.... is the combustion blower 75cfm and does the controller vary its speed based on calls for heat or does it run the same speed all the time?
It looks just like the combustion motor is the same blower motor my MKIII had. Don't know the cfm. It keeps the same speed all the time it seems. The more the feed rate goes up the larger the coal bed. The distribution blower does goes up and down depending on demand of course.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”