Unburned Coal...I Know...

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Coal bed thickness is not adjustable in a koker. There is a short plate that covers the stoker end of the grate, almost as high as the side walls. As the coal is pushed forward, it is forced under this plate which results in coal depth being a consistent ~1.5 inches across the entire grate.
grateplate.JPG
.JPG | 78.5KB | grateplate.JPG

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 1:05 pm

I am a little late to the party, but.....If that pic in the first post was full burn, the flames look kinda small to me and there is a wider ash band than I am used to seeing. Anybody else have an opinion on that?

At full burn, I would expect flames at least 12" high and about a 1" band of ash at the end of the grate. But I am used to seeing the flame & ash band on my mag, maybe a koker is different?

If at full burn the flames are not that high on mine I would look for something blocking the combustion air....combustion fan seated properly in mounting bracket, restrictor plate on combustion fan, clogged grate holes, fines built up under the grate, etc.

If the ash band is wider than 1" at full burn then I would look to increase the feed rate a slight bit.

I would only make one change at a time though so you can gauge the effect.

LiftedAWDAstro
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker 160
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by LiftedAWDAstro » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 1:29 pm

The pic of the burn might not have been full burn. Mine will have 12" flames and have only about 1" of ash on the end. His looks like mine does on an easy burn day…just loafing along.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 1:36 pm

She also suggested backing off the t-stat to reduce clunkers,
That makes no sense to me...you would back off the combustion air to reduce clinkers...anyhow, no worry for you. :)

fuccillo111

Post by fuccillo111 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 2:01 pm

I do believe the stove was just burning along easily. It was a warmer day in the low 20s after all. 1200 for coal is better than 2700 for fuel oil but if I can knock that down to 1000 by adjusting, that be even better.

shanedoe

Post by shanedoe » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Its the coal. The ash from my koker looked just like yours last year. This was my first year with it and assumed that is what it was supposed to look like. This year i'm burning same brand and size and I almost have no unburnt coal in my ash. I thought it was my imagination or stove was running different however when I ran a couple bags from last year I started to get a lot of unburnt again. Guess the coal varies year to year.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”