DVC-500 Over Feeding

jbird

Post by jbird » Fri. Jan. 31, 2014 9:25 pm

I've had my DVC-500 for several years...never a problem. All of a sudden it is feeding faster. I'm feeding the amount of coal on setting 2 as I used to on setting 3 using the "stove temp." mode. If you're a DVC-500 owner you know that this is a significant difference. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening. I haven't changed coal, still working on the same 5 ton I had delivered last Fall. I'm wondering if the computer board may be on it's way out? Between that and the ESP and TCP probes it may be anyone's guess. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sat. Feb. 01, 2014 7:29 pm

the feed switch is a rheostat and they tend to finally burn or arc in the position they are most often set at.is that the only position in which it malfunctions?if so,you just might need a new switch

jbird

Post by jbird » Sat. Feb. 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for your input. The feeding seems to be more problematic between 2 and 3/12, this is certainly the area where it has spent most of it's life. It is definitely not in one specific spot.

Nevercold

Post by Nevercold » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I had problems with my board just after warranty expired. Got a new warranty board free.
Never returned the old one 8-)
I then bought some replacement parts. Have yet to need them. Going on about 8 yrs since new :D
Good idea to have in stock. Check with seller to
confirm correct resistance.
My brother suffered a similar failure.
Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Coal-Pellet-Stove- ... 1c39a0e8ff

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ablumny » Sun. Feb. 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Yep the potentiometers get a lot of attention when something goes wrong. I had a rough time a few years ago, troubleshooting my dvc500, if your handy with a soldering iron and know how to properly unsolder the old pots, it's pretty easy to swap them.

I'd also pull out the temp probe and clean it. It's located on the left side, back, below the fines tray door area and it protrudes into the exhaust port. Not sure it'll help but that thing is responsible for lots of controls.

Burn grate holes are clear? Exhaust fan behind the ash pan clean?

You didn't mention it so I assume you have no blink codes on the control box?

Just some ideas

jbird

Post by jbird » Mon. Feb. 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks all. That's right, no blink codes. I gave the whole unit a thorough cleaning as I do every 8 weeks. I have not pulled the probe, but that sure is a simple check. I do go over it with a soft brush when I clean the exhaust vent.
I was looking at those pots on ebay as well. Do you know if the 100Ks are the correct ones for the DVC-500? I'm thinking that they are. 8.50 sure beats 300.00!

ablumny
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc500
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ablumny » Mon. Feb. 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Year 4 With a DVC-500 Not Off to a Good Start... Help!

That was my troubleshooting thread. The forum team was great. Anyway it turned out I pinched the clear pressure tube while I was working on the board. Might be worth checking out anyway ....

jbird

Post by jbird » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Wow ablumney you really went through a lot. You must know the DVC inside out. My tube is good. I checked that due to a partial plug last year that caused erratic burning. Now I clean it every time I clean the stove. I sure will keep a link to your thread, there's a bunch of good information there.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”