Switching Relay Help :)

farrell2k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kaa2

Post by farrell2k » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 7:55 pm

So I was forced to buy a new switching relay for my upstairs zone. I picked up a taco sr501. I am not sure if I have the wiring right, as the wiring diagram says that I should be seeing a green light all the time, but I am only seeing this green light when the boiler is getting up to temperature. Here's what I have and what I did:

This is the aquastat on my kaa2. https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/ ... 0-2061.pdf
This is the taco relay. http://www.pexuniverse.com/docs/pdf/102-169.pdf

From what I can decipher, from the aquastat I go from ZR(hot) to H (hot) on the sr01 then ZC(white) on the aquastat to N(white) on the sr 501. I then connect the white from the circulator to N on the sr501, then from 4(n/o) on the sr501 to the circulator (hot).

Does that make sense or do I have something backwards, because it sure seems so.

Thanks!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 9:02 pm

You need 120VAC across H & N on your SR501.

According to the SR instructions:

ZR goes to Terminal 4

ZC goes to Terminal 3 & 5

Neutral from your 120VAC supply goes to N and the white wire for circulator.

Hot from your 120VAC goes to H on SR501

Hot (or black) for circulator goes from Terminal 6 to circulator.

Sounds like you don't have 120VAC to the unit and it's backfeeding from the aquastat.

Check each wire as written and I bet you find the problem quickly, just a matter of tracing wires. It can get confusing at times with all of the connections to be made.

Good luck!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”