Backing Plate

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
lafermedavid
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Rite-Way dana 1
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 6:58 pm

I have an old rite-way wood /coal burner,works great with wood or coal,,,started back to burning coal this week,been burning wood up till now.My stove is a boiler with circulator pumps and cast iron baseboard.My cast backing plate in the back of stove box is cast and broke.I was thinking of replacing it with 1/4 boiler plate,does that sound like the rite thing.Riteway is out of business and cant find OE plate.thanks in advance dave

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 7:05 pm

I'd probably do what you are thinking.... but I also realize the steel won't last nearly as well as the cast iron did. Steel sags & warps when it gets real hot, cast iron remains rigid.
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 7:09 pm

how about a cast iron griddle cut to size?
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

lafermedavid

Post Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks fellas,Can I buy cast iron plate cut to size?Wonder how 3/8 would hold up BPS?Thanks in advance dave

waldo lemieux
Stove/Furnace Make: efm
Stove/Furnace Model: s-20

Post Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Ive not seen cast iron sheet sold. cutting it would be no problem for an angle grinder with a cuttoff wheel.
When faced with a seemingly impossible task, my grandfather always said "can't never can, untill try comes along"

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 7:27 am

if you think it can last the rest of the winter,then has a new one recast then.if it's becomming a problem to your burning make a steel plate then have a new cast one made. And welcome,that's looks like a solid boiler and looks simular to how mine was made.

lafermedavid

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks Guys for all your replys.Denise Im not sure if I can find cast plate to work with...BPS no problem,but not sure about where to get cast...My stove is burning fine,but if I could find cast plate I would shut her down for the repair.thanks all

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 6:50 pm

lafermedavid wrote:Thanks Guys for all your replys.Denise Im not sure if I can find cast plate to work with...BPS no problem,but not sure about where to get cast...My stove is burning fine,but if I could find cast plate I would shut her down for the repair.thanks all
it's not a plate,you need to send it to a foundry and they will cast a new duplicte.Where are you located(general area/state)to help locate a foundry near you.If it's burning fine i'd wait till summer shut down then have a new one cast.

lafermedavid

Post Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 7:24 pm

darlington Md 21034,,,its broke in 3 pieces,,,but I can give dimentions according to rite way

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”