Heat Delivery Issue

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 6:48 am

So, its -12 * (the pucker star) and my radiant zone cant keep up. I have a 6" circ running three 200'
loops. If I put a three speed pump(on high) in its place will that push more heat into the slab? The water temp in is 120 and return 80 so Im assuming until I get 120deg water back there is room for more btu/hr in the slab. Is this sound reasoning? I should mention that the efm is cycling on at about 30% of the time so its not a production issue.Thanx in advance for the input.....

Waldo

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 6:54 am

Can't help with all that fancy stuff, but ya know if push comes to shove, ya can always come out to Freetown with the tribe. Good luck with all that wl

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:00 am

Thanx Fred, but there isnt any school today ,and I wouldnt subject you or the tribe to my kids.Im thinkin I got plumbing to do today... :roll:

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:04 am

Supply and return temps should be with-in 12% + or - 2 or 3% -- it depends

yes - maybe - if you push more volume out to your radiation you will return warmer liquid

you don't want supply and return temps close - that only means your radiation is not as productive as it could be and your wasting circulation and energy

Kind Regards
Sting

Sting

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:05 am

you may also need to up your supply temp on days like these

its all system balance

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:28 am

Sting

Tried the turning up the temp thing,unfortunately Ive never used it in 13 ys and it is seized. And I don't think this is a good time to tear the damn thing apart . This day is shaping up to be a beaut already, thankfully I did get beer last night :D

Sting

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:32 am

What "thing" are you turning up???

tempering valve?

plain valve?

boiler?

Sting

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:34 am

if you have an thermal reacting tempering valve in the line - can it be bypassed? - yes now is not the time for pipe wrenches -- baby its cold outside

well --- hummmm -- can you up the temp on the boiler -- if indeed the "thing" is stuck --- then it will exponentially send more energy to the loop if hotter water is available

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:50 am

Honeywell Sparcomix valve is seized. Im gonna try loosening the cartridge and see if that works. Trouble is, the wrench is in the truck and Im a *censored* when it comes to cold. That wrench weighs ten pounds and at -12 ,thats alot of cold :crazy:

Sting

Post by Sting » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:54 am

waldo lemieux wrote: the wrench is in the truck and Im a *censored* when it comes to cold. That wrench weighs ten pounds and at -12 ,thats alot of cold :crazy:
I agree - I walk in my "shop" these days and the 9/16 wrench sticks to my hand - like licking an aluminum flag pole :shock:

those pesky valves shoud be installed like circ pumps --- with isolation valves because you know anything with tits - wheels - or springs are going to give you trouble

kevinjohn
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1963 efm 350 coal stoker
Coal Size/Type: buck

Post by kevinjohn » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 4:11 pm

from where I sit,We were always looking for a 20 deg split between supply and return temps,If it was my place I think that I would go for the 3 speed pump and try to get your delta t a little closer to 20 deg instead of the 40 deg split that you are now seeing.If you have a tempering valve raising the boiler water temp will not increase the temp of the water entering the radiant system,besides if the floor is too warm you have a chance at damaging your floor covering.I did a radiant retrofit in my own home,before installing the radiant, I had hot water baseboard that I left in place and have on a separate tstat set 2 deg cooler than the radiant and on these bitter cold nights here in rural Schuylkill county I need that extra bit of baseboard heat to keep the house at a nice comfy 74 deg.Hope that this info helps and makes sense.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Can you increase the temperature supplying the zone while maintaining flow volume? That should increase BTU output from the zone, shouldn't it?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 5:37 pm

So ,the mixing valve adjustment knob is seized and wont allow me to raise the water temp. I think that probably getting a three speed pump will push the 120 deg water further into the system and when I can get the valve freed up ill be able to increase water temp to the floor as well. I just don't dare to tear the valve apart right at the moment. Though it did make it to 0* this afternoon :junmp: The temps in the house started climbing , and made it to 67 . Just not the toasty Im used to :(

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 6:53 pm

What model circulator are you using right now?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Jan. 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Rob,

bell and gossett nrf-22

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”