Harman Super Magnum Stoker Issue

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 11:01 am

Might try some furnace cement around outer edge joint and down the center joint.
Will give best air through grate holes and help hold them more securely in place.
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Bruno
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 11:16 am

The Dealer mentioned (cement) if there is a gap with the grates. If the grates sit tight then there is no need for the cement. Mine have always been tight.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 11:44 am

If they were tight you wouldn't be out $92.00 now, would you? ;)
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 12:55 pm

I only put the cement in the middle joint to seal it up and force the air through the holes. The Harman manual says the grates should be loose to allow for expansion, I figured leaving the sides loose allowed for that.

Besides, before reading that in the manual I used it on the middle and sides of the grates in the workshop stoker and it was a bit of a pain to scrape it off the edges when cleaning it at the end of the season.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 4:52 pm

The grates in the regular mag should not be cemented. I don't know about the super mag.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”