Supercharged My Alaska 140 Stoker.

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. Jan. 20, 2014 7:20 pm

I have a question:

I started the second carpet in my parents 140 yesterday (first time since they owned it) and shortly after the safety sensor tripped and shut off the stokers. I reset the sensor and restarted just the back carpet and have no problems. Never had the safety sensor trip before with just the one carpet burning, now going on three years. Any thoughts as to why it tripped when the second carpet was burning?

The snowman

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Jan. 20, 2014 8:36 pm

the snowman wrote:I have a question:

I started the second carpet in my parents 140 yesterday (first time since they owned it) and shortly after the safety sensor tripped and shut off the stokers. I reset the sensor and restarted just the back carpet and have no problems. Never had the safety sensor trip before with just the one carpet burning, now going on three years. Any thoughts as to why it tripped when the second carpet was burning?

The snowman
What venting?

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 2:11 am

It's possible with the second combustion blower running you are creating a positive pressure in your firebox. Did you check over fire and flue pressures ?

Paul

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Flyer5,

I have a Powervent on the furnace. This powervent I have had on the furnace for the past two seasons now going on the third. The manual for the 140 specified a .04 draft. I always check the draft at the beginning of each heating season. If the powervent is too dirty and has let the draft drop, that might cause a positive pressure in the furnace thus tripping the safety sensor. I will have to check to see how dirty the powerventer is.

Paul,

Interesting, I did not check those. I did look at the Fields damper and it was holding steady as it has all season as well as the past two seasons. I have not cleaned it since I started the 140 this year. I usually do not need to clean it all season. If I had my manometer with me I would have checked the draft.

Has anyone ever heard of the safety sensor on the 140's going bad? Just thinking. If you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

The snowman.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Snowman,
If you are running one burner now , put your hand on the safety switch ..... my guess is you can hold the outer housing in your hand comfortably.

That's because the tube behind it is sucking room temperature air into the firebox due to the firebox negative pressure.

Now fire up the second burner...... If you burn your hand on it like I think you will....... You have positive firebox pressure and it's doing its job .

My guess is a partially blocked chimney or too much additional combustion air. Check for obstructions FIRST!

Try restricting the combustion air a little as suggested by our other members with a refrigerator magnet on the air intake located on the bottom of the feeders.

Paul

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”