Not Getting the Heat Out of My Keystoker 90

gitrdonecoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Hooked up the stove in October and loved it. Got it dialed down so I was getting 425 degrees. That was with a half turn back from bottomed out on the adjustment screw and having an inch of ash from the bottom of the stoker plate. Now I have the screw bottomed out and have about 2 1/2 inches of ash from the bottom and the stove is at 300 degrees. Didn't look like anything was clogged in the stoker plate. Any ideas? All this seems weird because it was running fine and then overnight about a week ago the fire went out. Re lit it and this happened almost instantly
Last edited by gitrdonecoal on Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Did you just get a fresh load of coal?

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Nope. Been burning from the same pallet that is almost gone. Need another load lol

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 4:45 pm

How tall are the flames, are they close to hitting the top? About 4 inches of ash in my stove right now and flames are as tall as 4 inches.

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 5:06 pm

2001Sierra wrote:How tall are the flames, are they close to hitting the top? About 4 inches of ash in my stove right now and flames are as tall as 4 inches.
Yea they were almost to the top, might be a little shorter than previously. It's almost acting like there is not as much coal being push down than before

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Are you adjusting the feed screw on the back? for MORE burn, it has to turn CLockwise in for max burn. Maybe you unscrewed all the way and the pusher plate is attached or not feeding properly.

When you turn up the thermostat above the room temp, do you hear the relay for the stoker motor click on.?

shanedoe

Post by shanedoe » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Check hopper for a coal bridge or obstruction. With my koker that is usually the problem from wet bagged coal.

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 6:40 pm

WNY wrote:Are you adjusting the feed screw on the back? for MORE burn, it has to turn CLockwise in for max burn. Maybe you unscrewed all the way and the pusher plate is attached or not feeding properly.

When you turn up the thermostat above the room temp, do you hear the relay for the stoker motor click on.?
Screw is turned all the way clockwise, doesn't look like it came unscrewed all the way. I can see the plate moving nice back and fourth. The stoker does start working when heat is called for. I looked before for a bridge or obstruction and couldn't find anything. Is it possible that it needs a good cleaning? It's ran continuous for a few months now. Does the stoker plate get corrosion for lack of a better term and need to get cleaned good?

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 6:46 pm

ALso, what is your exhaust? Direct Vent or standard chimney?

The adjustment screw can be backed out about 2-4 turns depending on how low you want it to idle.

Are you using a standard Thermostat (dial or digital) or a Coaltrol?
If you can't hear it clicking on/off when you turn up the standard thermostat, then something with the relay box or thermostat is not working.

Yes, it might need cleaned, if you are getting a good burn on the grates, but low, something is not making it kick up to full burn.

The grates can be removed and cleaned under them, many small fines fall thru, you could remove the combustion blower from the back and vacuum it out with a small tube in and under the grates without removing

Heres a write up I did a while back. hope it helps.! I'm going on my 12th year with my keystoker. as long you clean it out faithfully in the spring and oil everything. it shouldn't give you too many problems.
Cleaning & Sealing Burn Grate

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 6:55 pm

WNY wrote:ALso, what is your exhaust? Direct Vent or standard chimney?

The adjustment screw can be backed out about 2-4 turns depending on how low you want it to idle.

Are you using a standard Thermostat (dial or digital) or a Coaltrol?
If you can't hear it clicking on/off when you turn up the standard thermostat, then something with the relay box or thermostat is not working.

Yes, it might need cleaned, if you are getting a good burn on the grates, but low, something is not making it kick up to full burn.

The grates can be removed and cleaned under them, many small fines fall thru, you could remove the combustion blower from the back and vacuum it out with a small tube in and under the grates without removing
I have a chimney exhaust.
I had the screw backed out 2 turns at initial install and wanted more heat, so I had it turned all the way in and was getting complete burn that way.
I have a digital Honeywell thermostat.
I'm not sure about hearing a click when t stat kicks on, stove is in basement and can't be in 2 places at once lol. But when heat is called the plate does indeed run continuous.

Heres a write up I did a while back. hope it helps.! I'm going on my 12th year with my keystoker. as long you clean it out faithfully in the spring and oil everything. it shouldn't give you too many problems.
Cleaning & Sealing Burn Grate

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Just went downstairs and checked on it. Stove still on only 300 degrees. Still is only burning 4 inches or so back instead of an inch of ash in the front. I'm so dumbfounded

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 7:48 pm

what kind of thermostat do you have?

Is your setpoint higher then the room temperature? so it's calling for heat? Turn it up a few degrees and wait a while and see if the flames increase.

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 7:58 pm

You still have my number?
From back in the beginning of your hotblast days!!!
If so call me. if not Message me.

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 8:57 pm

It's a digital Honeywell, get a model here when I'm done changing diapers lol. Always set for 70, before it got to 79 it would always call for heat then just before it hit 71 would shut down.

gitrdonecoal

Post by gitrdonecoal » Thu. Dec. 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm texting north candle wood in between u guys and kids too. It might be a draft problem which I have no IDEa why would start now. Before the baro is as warm as after, a draft set for .03 and .04. Still can touch for 5 seconds or so, not too hot

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”