Lil' Heater.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 8:37 pm

What does your manometer say your draft is?

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Feb. 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I melted the hose on the manometer and I need to get a brake line and take a proper reading this weekend. My unscientific observation is that the Baro in the basement that's connected to the oil furnace has enough draft to suck a plastic bag to it.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 8:26 am

Mark, with all due respect, your issue may very well boil down to just draft. You stated that the stove seemed to burn stronger in the basement, but when moved upstairs it is now anemic. Considering you just reduced chimney height quite a bit, that could play a role. Especially if this was from the onset. Also, I hope you are not sharing that flue with another appliance. But if you are, and that appliance has a baro, that would explain a lot. For sure you will know something when you get the mano hooked back up.
Jim

CoaldHeat
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer LE/T
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by CoaldHeat » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 8:30 am

I had similar problems with the quiet combustion blower. My temps were much lower than with the B30. After last heating season during my cleaning I replaced the quiet blower with the original B30 and found more fines than usual under the ramp. So far this heating season wiht the B30 I am getting much higher temperatures, as you have tried a new B30 it sounds like it isn't your blower istelf. Could you fire up the oil heat and shut the stoker down for a good cleaning? Clean out the holes on the ramp and get all the fines out from underneath the ramp.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 8:46 am

When I replaced the motor I also vacuumed under the grate.

CoaldHeat

Post by CoaldHeat » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 10:09 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:When I replaced the motor I also vacuumed under the grate.
Did you clear out the holes in the ramp at that time. I saw earlier where you said you figured the holes were clean when you changed from the quiet blower (only ran for 30 days). My thoughts are with the quiet blower not driving air up through the holes as much as the B30 you may have ended up with restricted holes during that 30 days. It was just a thought, figured I would throw it out there as I noticed during my quiet blower season they had to be cleaned during the season (never had to do that with the B30).

Best of luck.

CoaldHeat

Post by CoaldHeat » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 10:37 am

Just as a note, I too live in CT so our temperatures are pretty close and my Pioneer (with the B30) has no trouble even on the coldest days we have had so far keeping my 2,400 sqft house warm.

Again,
Best of luck.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Earth, did I hear you were burning buckwheat ?

My understanding is these stoves pretty much run optimally on rice, not sure if having more instististial space between the coal particles permits more air to flow past them without being effectively burnt. Seems lke you would need more cfm due pressure drop across the grate bottom and stove interior but I could be wrong.

Flyer may advise better.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”