Less Heat for a Given Feed Rate, Same Coal

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Post Reply
User avatar
Uglysquirrel
Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Post Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 7:07 pm

Fourth year with Pocono, absolutely excellent service last three years.

From startup this year, less flame height for same feed rate from last year, same Blaschak entirely dry coal . Replaced back grate gasket though a smoking wood match suggested blow thru on sides of grate bottom box and cast iron grate. Tried to really push down on the grate front to try to ensure a tight fit, this seemed to work for 2-3 weeks though now it seems the flame height is clearly less than last year for the same feed rate and coal as last year. Also really cleaned the combustion fan fins & underside of grate at beginning season. Combustion motor speed seems happy. A window outside is open a bit so not concerned about an vacumn issues in the house. Holes in grate are open, cleaned with a drill.

Interesting, stove side wall temps are down this year as well, 270F temp compared to something like 350 F last year for same feed rate.

In my opinion the combustion box and/or the grate has warped slightly with combustion air leaking. I'm thinking of using some refractory cement to seal the grate to the metal underlying housing. This will pose a removal issue to clan under though it may need to be done.. ;)

Comments ?

Thanks!!

Bruce

User avatar
Hambden Bob
Member
Posts: 6472
Joined: Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 10:54 am
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air
Location: Hambden Twp. Geauga County,Ohio

Post Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 7:28 pm

You got me. I don't own that stove,but dammit,something changed. If you're using last year's dry coal,we know the fuel hasn't changed. It has to be something to do with the draft(Bird or Squirrel's nest built in the off season?) or something in the combustion air travel path. Other than that,I dunno ! :bang:
Remember,There's No Sight Like Anthracite !......Hambden Bob

User avatar
blrman07
Member
Posts: 2380
Joined: Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:39 pm
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.
Location: Girardville Pa.

Post Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Yepper it sure sounds like you need to seal the grate sides, top and maybe the bottom so the air only goes through the holes.

Rev. Larry
Rev. Larry
Ashland Pa.

1 John 1:9... If we sin and we confess that sin He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Nov. 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Uglysquirrel wrote:Fourth year with Pocono, absolutely excellent service last three years.

From startup this year, less flame height for same feed rate from last year, same Blaschak entirely dry coal . Replaced back grate gasket though a smoking wood match suggested blow thru on sides of grate bottom box and cast iron grate. Tried to really push down on the grate front to try to ensure a tight fit, this seemed to work for 2-3 weeks though now it seems the flame height is clearly less than last year for the same feed rate and coal as last year. Also really cleaned the combustion fan fins & underside of grate at beginning season. Combustion motor speed seems happy. A window outside is open a bit so not concerned about an vacumn issues in the house. Holes in grate are open, cleaned with a drill.

Interesting, stove side wall temps are down this year as well, 270F temp compared to something like 350 F last year for same feed rate.

In my opinion the combustion box and/or the grate has warped slightly with combustion air leaking. I'm thinking of using some refractory cement to seal the grate to the metal underlying housing. This will pose a removal issue to clan under though it may need to be done.. ;)

Comments ?

Thanks!!

Bruce
Are you sure the grate is back all the way and down? Sometimes they need to be persuaded back. You should only feel 1 lip in the front.
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

User avatar
Uglysquirrel
Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Post Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 8:00 am

Flyer5 wrote:
Are you sure the grate is back all the way and down? Sometimes they need to be persuaded back. You should only feel 1 lip in the front.
Flyer5, good idea....thanks !

User avatar
titleist1
Member
Posts: 4404
Joined: Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 4:06 pm
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite
Location: Cecil County, MD

Post Sun. Dec. 01, 2013 8:32 am

when cleaning up the grate holes this year I found a couple 'goobers' on the edges of mine that kept them from seating properly. I also thought mine were warped because after setting the one in place the second grate would rock and not sit all the way flush with the other. these 'goobers' were just like the deposits that I cleaned out of the holes. I scraped them off and everything set nice and flush with no rocking.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!


User avatar
Uglysquirrel
Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono

Post Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
Uglysquirrel wrote:Fourth year with Pocono, absolutely excellent service last three years.

From startup this year, less flame height for same feed rate from last year, same Blaschak entirely dry coal . Replaced back grate gasket though a smoking wood match suggested blow thru on sides of grate bottom box and cast iron grate. Tried to really push down on the grate front to try to ensure a tight fit, this seemed to work for 2-3 weeks though now it seems the flame height is clearly less than last year for the same feed rate and coal as last year. Also really cleaned the combustion fan fins & underside of grate at beginning season. Combustion motor speed seems happy. A window outside is open a bit so not concerned about an vacumn issues in the house. Holes in grate are open, cleaned with a drill.

Interesting, stove side wall temps are down this year as well, 270F temp compared to something like 350 F last year for same feed rate.

In my opinion the combustion box and/or the grate has warped slightly with combustion air leaking. I'm thinking of using some refractory cement to seal the grate to the metal underlying housing. This will pose a removal issue to clan under though it may need to be done.. ;)

Comments ?

Thanks!!

Bruce
Are you sure the grate is back all the way and down? Sometimes they need to be persuaded back. You should only feel 1 lip in the front.
Backed off the feed rate, put on my leather gloves and used an adjustable c-clamp to lightly compress the upper front grate edge against the lower sheet metal box edge while still burning. The grate did move a scoshe down. Flame seems a scoshe higher . :D

Whats a "scoshe"?

User avatar
SMITTY
Member
Posts: 11915
Joined: Sun. Dec. 11, 2005 12:43 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler
Location: West-Central Mass

Post Mon. Dec. 02, 2013 8:23 pm

It is what it is. :D

That's a New England word. ;)
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

User avatar
Matthaus
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon. Oct. 02, 2006 8:59 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite
Location: Wilkes Barre, PA

Post Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm adding a couple points to consider in this discussion:
Any time there is a change in stove behavior don't forget the other side of the equation, the chimney or power vent. For a given CFM combustion air/coal BTU value burning there also has to be a corresponding volume and pressure to effectively take the products of combustion and expel it outside. If the draft is low (still negative but say -.02"WC instead of -.04"WC) it can affect the burn rate and size of the flame. We have seen customers prove this by keeping their stove stove lit solely with the power vent after the combustion fan failed by cranking it up all the way and holding the baro shut (don't try this at home kids, guaranteed hopper fire!). Another possibility is some kind of restriction not allowing full flue gas flow (such as fly ash built up in an area not cleaned or a birds nest), this can affect the size of the flames and burn rate of the coal.
Matthaus
Leisure Line Stove Company
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/

Post Reply

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”