Keystoker Rice Coal Stove - Fire Moving Too Far Down Grate

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:16 pm

The fire bed on the grate is usually midway down and about 4"-5" wide across grate. Just discovered it has crept down the grate almost to the end. Fire looks like an upside down triangle with the flat side where the fire is normally and the smaller pointed end 1/2" off the end of grate. I've never seen this before. I turned down the thermostat which clicked off the stoker motor so it could cool down - just heard it self start normally again so I assume the thermostat is OK. But I am nervous about the fire moving so far down the grate. Anybody seen this before? I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:43 pm

It's probably feed adjustment issue and not a big deal. Certainly nothing to worry about. If the burning coal falls off the grate, you are only going to waste some coal until you figure out what's happening. How long have you had the stove and was it recently serviced?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:45 pm

if you havent changed coal from the time it was burning 'normal' i'd guess the the reason for pushing burning coal off the end is the feed rate is too high or there isn't enough air coming through the grate holes to completely burn up the coal before it gets pushed off the end. the odd burn pattern leans me toward the clogged grate holes.

did you clear them out before firing up this year?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Similar thoughts:

What the fire looks like on the grate is representative of the air being fed up through the holes in stoker grate.
Not to say the holes are necessarily plugged (but better check), but an accumulation of fines can blow like a sand drift and cause disturbed air patterns accordingly.
No need to adjust the fire...once air problem is solved, the feed will be as it once was. :)

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 7:50 am

Shut keystoker down and check grate's for block holes and fines under grate. Also take putty knife over to of grate to see if something has stuck fast. Don't change feed rate just yet.

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:14 am

Carbon12 wrote:It's probably feed adjustment issue and not a big deal. Certainly nothing to worry about. If the burning coal falls off the grate, you are only going to waste some coal until you figure out what's happening. How long have you had the stove and was it recently serviced?
I've had the stove since 1996. Love it and take good care of it. It was completely (and I mean completely) cleaned before starting this season. Could the air intake for the grate be opened too far? Thanks for your quick response.

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:21 am

titleist1 wrote:if you havent changed coal from the time it was burning 'normal' i'd guess the the reason for pushing burning coal off the end is the feed rate is too high or there isn't enough air coming through the grate holes to completely burn up the coal before it gets pushed off the end. the odd burn pattern leans me toward the clogged grate holes.

I don't think the grate holes are clogged as my stove was meticulously cleaned by me before the season started - I do the same thing in January - takes me all day but for some crazy reason, I love to do it. I think it's because the Keystoker provides such wonderful, toasty heat - my way of saying "thank you". Now you think I'm nuts. I did have to order coal late last spring and I think it was the bottom of the pile coal as there are nice pieces of rice coal but there's also an
unusual amount of dust and some - though not a lot - bits of very small pieces. Could they be clogging the grate? Or is it the amount of air coming through the grate?

Thanks for your response.

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:23 am

McGiever wrote:Similar thoughts:

What the fire looks like on the grate is representative of the air being fed up through the holes in stoker grate.
Not to say the holes are necessarily plugged (but better check), but an accumulation of fines can blow like a sand drift and cause disturbed air patterns accordingly.
No need to adjust the fire...once air problem is solved, the feed will be as it once was. :)
Hope you're right. Stove was very carefully cleaned before this season so the grate should be ultra clean. I appreciate you consideration. Thanks.

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:26 am

Wiz wrote:Shut keystoker down and check grate's for block holes and fines under grate. Also take putty knife over to of grate to see if something has stuck fast. Don't change feed rate just yet.
I appreciate your response. Could you tell me what "fines" are? Is this tiny coal pieces or fly ash? My coal this year does have a lot of tiny pieces in it - had to re-order last Spring so might have gotten bottom of the pile coal. Thanks again.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:30 am

i think it may be related to the smaller coal not letting as much air through the bed changing the burn characteristics a little. two choices I can think of to test this theory would be to up the air slightly by opening the plate on the combustion fan intake a smidge or keeping the air the same and getting to a spot in the coal pile that has larger sized pieces of rice.

edit to add...fines are basically coal dust

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 9:38 am

joia24 wrote:
Wiz wrote:Shut keystoker down and check grate's for block holes and fines under grate. Also take putty knife over to of grate to see if something has stuck fast. Don't change feed rate just yet.
I appreciate your response. Could you tell me what "fines" are? Is this tiny coal pieces or fly ash? My coal this year does have a lot of tiny pieces in it - had to re-order last Spring so might have gotten bottom of the pile coal. Thanks again.
Clean out under grates, if coal has allot of fines (tiny pieces of coal) they'll fall pass holes on grates. This will cause poor airflow needed to burn coal on grates.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 11:49 am

I tend to think Wiz may be on to something, two years in a row (same coal supply for the most part) I had very little buildup under my grates. The following year I couldn't believe how much was in there & it tends to pack a bit on the sides.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I did have to order coal late last spring and I think it was the bottom of the pile coal as there are nice pieces of rice coal but there's also an
unusual amount of dust and some - though not a lot - bits of very small pieces. Could they be clogging the grate? Or is it the amount of air coming through the grate?
BINGO!!!

That dust goes through the hole pretty quick when there is a bunch going over it.

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 6:48 pm

McGiever wrote:Similar thoughts:

The fire bed has returned, of it's own volition, to the wide smiley face that I'm used to and in the right place on the grate. I think the fines have affected and will affect the pattern of the bed - a first for me. You are all wonderful to help and all of the advice I received was
greatly appreciated. You wonderful people have saved me more than once. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

joia24

Post by joia24 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 6:49 pm

titleist1 wrote:if you havent changed coal from the time it was burning 'normal' i'd guess the the reason for pushing burning coal off the end is the feed rate is too high or there isn't enough air coming through the grate holes to completely burn up the coal before it gets pushed off the end. the odd burn pattern leans me toward the clogged grate holes.

The fire bed has returned, of it's own volition, to the wide smiley face that I'm used to and in the right place on the grate. I think the fines have affected and will affect the pattern of the bed - a first for me. You are all wonderful to help and all of the advice I received was
greatly appreciated. You wonderful people have saved me more than once. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”