Coal Stove Direct Vent Question

vsantoro

Post by vsantoro » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:00 pm

I have an alaska coal stove direct vent (Kast Console III) with direct vent. I just moved and am putting it in the new house. Its going in a corner (old house it was flush against wall) so I need to vent it with a bend in pipe and also pipe has to be a little longer than the old one . I bought a semi rigid vent pipe from home depot (its an aluminum dryer vent pipe). Do you think there will be any issue using this for venting ?

The dryer vent pipe will connect to the pipe sticking out of back of the stove then connect to the pipe that goes through the wall. The old pipe was similiar except it was a little thicker of metal (both single wall vent pipe).
thanks.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 2:11 pm

NO, NO, NO, NO! aluminum dryer vent will melt!!!

vsantoro

Post by vsantoro » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 3:05 pm

The old pipe did not get very hot..I do not think it will melt, and the pipe that was on there was not much thicker than this one. if the aluminum pipe will not work where can I get a flexible vent pipe that is thicker so that I can bend it slightly.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.townleycoal.com/pdfs/alaska_direct_ven ... manual.pdf

I would call a dealer and find out for sure what type of venting is required.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 4:15 pm

Hey all,....anybody know specifics about this stove and can help this member out? I'm not sure what type of vent pipe they need but I'm sure it's NOT dryer vent.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 10:37 pm

I would not use flexible dryer vent hose.

A direct vent system blows the exhaust gasses out of the house under pressure. All piping must be sealed securely to prevent fumes (CO) from entering the living space. Depending on the length of the run, you could possibly bend the rigid pipe to match the outlet of the stove to the wall pipe.

Get thy self to a stove store to get the correct diameter rigid wall pipe to make the connections.

This right here is the difference between direct vent and power vent. Direct vents are under pressure to expel the gasses outside. A power vent has the motor on the exterior of the house and sucks the gasses out. And leak in a power vent just creates less draft of the gasses. A leak in a direct vent can potentially push exhaust gasses into your house. Complete sealing of direct vents is imperative.

Rick

Badog

Post by Badog » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 8:55 am

IMHO dump the direct vent and get a power vent. Safer, less noise and you use plain old stove pipe with no worries.

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Alaska Direct Ventphoto.JPG
.JPG | 103.6KB | Alaska Direct Ventphoto.JPG
I have a Alaska Channing 111 direct vent. I am attaching a picture of my direct vent pipe. I don't think you can tell from the attached picture but the vent pipe is very rigid, also when you touch the vent pipe while the stove is running between 2 and 2 1/2 the vent pipe does get hot. I would call any Alaska dealer and they probably have the vent pipe in stock or could order it for you.

brit22staff
Coal Size/Type: Rice coal
Other Heating: Kast console 111

Post by brit22staff » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 1:53 pm

Call 570-387-0260 and enquire M8 that's your best bet! I called for a direct vent kit and they said they've got a 7 week wait for some of the parts that make up the kit! But if you only need pipe you'll be in luck! Remember it's only money and burning your house down is a family thing! 😉

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 2:25 pm

brit22staff wrote:
Tue. Feb. 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Call 570-387-0260 and enquire M8 that's your best bet! I called for a direct vent kit and they said they've got a 7 week wait for some of the parts that make up the kit! But if you only need pipe you'll be in luck! Remember it's only money and burning your house down is a family thing! 😉
Ten year old thread. He hasn't posted in awhile.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”