Grates for Older Harman Stoker

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
ajennbus

Post Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I am looking for a grate unit for an older (late 80's) Harman Stoker. It is a one piece grate unit that bolts on in the back, towards the stoker unit. I have been told they are no longer produced and it would have to be retrofitted to the newer style, two piece grate. Wondering if anyone would know of any dealers that might have one in stock. Our local dealer can not get one.

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 1:27 pm

You need to find a long time dealer and if lucky they may have one from their stock they could ship to you. Here is a name from my area that has been a Harman dealer for a very long time.

Duvall's Lawn & Garden Inc.
653 Telegraph Road
Rising Sun, MD 21911
410-658-6519
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Wow, bet finding one of those will be quite the feat. :shock:

Looking left and then to right :secret: ...is dcrane within ear shot?... :notsure: Well here goes...Maybe Woodland Stove has some old time Harman grates :poke: ... :out:
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Sounds like you have the same stove I do. I asked the local dealer around here and he looked for a grate but couldn't find it.

My grate is cracked right down the middle from front to back. Has been since I bought the house 11 years ago and has worked fine since day one.
The best weapon and tool one can ever possess is patience.

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 1:49 am

if you find one its like winning the lottery ...

Jeff
Been burning coal since 1979 ........ yep I'm old ..............

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 7:19 am

Someone had one for sale on Craigslist about a year or so ago. I posted a link to it here on the forum because it was soo rare. I'm sure its gone now. I bet you there are a few out there somewhere. Last year someone on the forum bought a "brand new" never used Jotul507 stove. That stove was manufactured in the 70's. :shock:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

ajennbus

Post Tue. Nov. 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Found one.....not even that far away. Thanks for any suggestions though.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”