Door Window Gasket Deteriorating?

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 5:16 pm

Is this normal? My door window gasket is fraying as you can see. This is my first stove so I don't know what to expect.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 5:22 pm

Looks like you have mice. :)

Not normal, but not uncommon.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 5:25 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Looks like you have mice. :)

Not normal, but not uncommon.
I had a mouse, but I lit it's tail and it burned up...heehehe

So..nothing to be concerned with? Is replacing the window gasket an annual maint. thing?

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 6:39 pm

For what its worth mine looks similar and is also new.

xackley

Post by xackley » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Might I suggest that when you replace the gasket, you put the sticky side of the gasket on the door window frame. I know the instructions say to wrap the edges of the window, but to what benefit. Seems wrapping the window would make it harder to clean the glass, and expose more of the gasket to extra wear.

av8r

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 8:03 pm

xackley wrote:Might I suggest that when you replace the gasket, you put the sticky side of the gasket on the door window frame. I know the instructions say to wrap the edges of the window, but to what benefit. Seems wrapping the window would make it harder to clean the glass, and expose more of the gasket to extra wear.
Thanks, but I didn't install this gasket. It came installed from the dealer. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly? It does seem to hinder cleaning the glass somewhat, but nothing terrible.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Cleaning the glass is probably why its like that. If you rub against that stuff, it will fray easily.

av8r

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 8:11 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Cleaning the glass is probably why its like that. If you rub against that stuff, it will fray easily.
Thanks. I have to assume that this won't affect the stove or allow any gases to escape (negative pressure and all that)?? I guess I could trim this back some to keep it out of the way?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 8:12 pm

It's what coaledsweat said, the fraying is from brushing against the fragile fibers of the high temp gasket material. I think it is made from glass, like woven fiberglass???

I messed my new gasket up with my first glass cleaning.. :roll:

Greg L

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 9:05 pm

LsFarm wrote:It's what coaledsweat said, the fraying is from brushing against the fragile fibers of the high temp gasket material. I think it is made from glass, like woven fiberglass???

I messed my new gasket up with my first glass cleaning.. :roll:

Greg L
It's woven ceramic fibers. When I first got the Harman both door gaskets "shed" for a little while.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Mine did the same thing on my pioneer I just replaced mine last week. Yea cleaning the glass does that unless your real careful not to hit the gasket when cleaning I think I'm done cleaning my glass its a pain and a losing battle..

xackley

Post by xackley » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 9:33 pm

I flipped my glass, so the white was on the outside. After razor cleaning, It still has a film. I found that Mobil 1 synth motor oil 15-50 helps to smooth the glaze and does not evaporate very fast. The oil on the outside greatly improves clarity, compared to trying to see through the white film.

av8r

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 9:43 pm

smith10210 wrote:Mine did the same thing on my pioneer I just replaced mine last week. Yea cleaning the glass does that unless your real careful not to hit the gasket when cleaning I think I'm done cleaning my glass its a pain and a losing battle..
If it's just that inside part of the gasket which appears to be excess material, couldn't you just have trimmed it away? I'm thinking that the gasket material that is actually between the door and the window is the only area that matters.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 9:52 pm

I would not trim it as it will continue to fray once it starts. If you trim it close to the glass, it will fray under it and leak in no time.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2008 11:35 pm

av8r wrote:
smith10210 wrote:Mine did the same thing on my pioneer I just replaced mine last week. Yea cleaning the glass does that unless your real careful not to hit the gasket when cleaning I think I'm done cleaning my glass its a pain and a losing battle..
If it's just that inside part of the gasket which appears to be excess material, couldn't you just have trimmed it away? I'm thinking that the gasket material that is actually between the door and the window is the only area that matters.
Probabley could as long as there is still a tight seal on frontside of the glass and door. I just bought some rutlands flat tape doorgasket at my local hardware cost 7 bucks...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”