CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jan. 14, 2008 7:52 am

smith10210 wrote:
av8r wrote: If it's just that inside part of the gasket which appears to be excess material, couldn't you just have trimmed it away? I'm thinking that the gasket material that is actually between the door and the window is the only area that matters.
Probabley could as long as there is still a tight seal on frontside of the glass and door. I just bought some rutlands flat tape doorgasket at my local hardware cost 7 bucks...
The gasket material is woven, cutting or trimming it anywhere but the ends will increase the fraying, it breaks the pattern of the weave.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2008 9:45 am

If it's just that inside part of the gasket which appears to be excess material, couldn't you just have trimmed it away? I'm thinking that the gasket material that is actually between the door and the window is the only area that matters.[/quote]
Probabley could as long as there is still a tight seal on frontside of the glass and door. I just bought some rutlands flat tape doorgasket at my local hardware cost 7 bucks...[/quote]

The gasket material is woven, cutting or trimming it anywhere but the ends will increase the fraying, it breaks the pattern of the weave.[/quote]
It will fray but shouldnt fray on the gasket between the front of the glass and door. Mine eventually wasnt even touching the glass on the inside it was flared up made it easier to clean didnt have to worry about hitting the gasket.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”