UP Dated... Is Door Glass Just Regular Glass??

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 7:21 am

Broke my glass in the door. Just wondering is this just regular glass or special tempered glass? Can I just go to my local glass company and get a cut piece?? I know my glass says Alaska on it, but it"s in the basement and while I believe it is a show piece it's location surely does not call for any thing special looking?? As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

As always thank you..

My dealer has the glass in stock, Going to get it this afternoon.. I need to give a shout out to the Alaskan people, upon breaking the door I contacted them last night and someone answered, and it was a real person, My stove is 8 years old and the number is still correct.. :D

I inquired about the glass and the gentleman knew who my dealer was, Amazing to me in that I'm in upstate NY. He said he had just shipped him some in an order he had placed for stock parts, I left a voice mail for my dealer received a call this am and will be getting the glass this afternoon.

I must say dealing with coal burning and the stoves and the people associated with it has been a pretty good experience. I can't say I would be able to ask questions like what I do on this site and get answers like I do or be able to read different things if I had for say my natural gas heater.. is there even forum for NG heaters..

Feeling much better, while not so cold this am, 57 in the house the chill is really there.. Wifey will be happy also..
Last edited by btrowe1 on Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 7:25 am

Actually its not glass at all. It's a special high temperature clear ceramic material. Common brands are Robax, Neoceram, and Pyroceram. Any regular glass, including tempered and Pyrex would shatter immediately under the heat. The 3 ceramics I mentioned are good up the range of 1,200 to 1,400 degrees.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Help may be on the way some day. Does anyone remember the Star Trek movie where they needed "transparent aluminum", and they had gone backwards in time, so they gave the formula for it to some guy who made tanks out of thick walled plexiglas or something, so he could make them a transparent aluminum tank to hold a whale in? Well, the US military has recently come through with real transparent aluminum (called Alon Armor), and it is now the window material on the M1 Abrams battle tank. No idea if that stuff would work at high temps, but who knows? If it works, it will be the last window you will ever install on your stove. The stove would probably blow up before this stuff would ever crack or shatter.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 3:59 pm

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Well, this pegs it! Transparent aluminum is stable up to 2,190 degrees F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 7:04 pm

That's pretty amazing. Heck with just windows; make the whole stove out of the stuff and really watch the blue ladies dance.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Horace wrote:That's pretty amazing. Heck with just windows; make the whole stove out of the stuff and really watch the blue ladies dance.
That would call for the manufacturers thinking outside of the box, as well as the end users having very deep pockets.

The military can use this stuff at will because the taxpayer is footing the bill.

Badog

Post by Badog » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 10:01 am

It is also easier for the government to justify to the taxpayers spending a boat load of money to protect the life of a soldier than it is to justify spending a boat load of money to see the blue ladies dance to your wife.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”