OOPS..I Forgot to Check the Stoker!!!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:35 am

waldo lemieux wrote:Are either of you guys related to my ex-wife? Incoming.... :bag:
:lol: as Larry the Cable Guy says..... I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:38 am

waldo lemieux wrote:Are either of you guys related to my ex-wife? Incoming.... :bag:
Did you split up because she wanted an Axeman?

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself)

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:41 am

Rob R. wrote:
Did you split up because she wanted an Axeman?

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
Now that was a good one Rob!

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 8:59 am

Pacowy wrote: But I really don't need to be told what to think or say or how I should feel about coal equipment of any variety.

Mike
We all know you're a big boy Mike and make your own decisions. I know I've never wanted to do that.

Look, I don't know much about hot water heating, I've only had steam. I'll go on record right here and say ANY of the major boilers set up for steam will work fantastically so, AS LONG AS YOUR NEAR BOILER PIPING IS CORRECT". And, if you read my install, I state I wanted to get a big EFM but simply could not get the near boiler piping to work out due to the height of the unit. Simple as that. I'm sure any of the makes will do the same for hot water, provide years of efficient use of a USA product ...COAL which we all love her at NEPA.

That is what I have stated in my post of my Axeman 260 install. I vacillated between EFM, Axeman and Keystoker for a long while. In fact, I still think of the Keystoker as an ideal steam machine. With the two huge 4 inch supplies up top of the larger models it must produce some seriously dry steam!!! The "Deadmean" would love it!!! I simply went with an Axeman. It fit my needs and works wonderfully. Wow! Big deal.

So Mike, don't put words in my mouth. I like to tease sometime and try to make it readily apparent. If that explanation doesn't cut it the get a little thicker skin. Or did my Axeman posts and other AHS posts cut inadvertently into your sale of your big boiler that you need to lash out?
Last edited by Townsend on Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 9:18 am

And back to topic, how much does a new fire pot for the burnt out EFM cost? Can you still find a reconditioned one from Scrapper etc to save money?

Matt, do you have pics of the repair?

Also, how about the EFM 900 like Mike (Pacowy) is trying to sell. I don't believe EFM is still making that model. Are parts easily available for that?

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Townsend wrote: Also, how about the EFM 900 like Mike (Pacowy) is trying to sell. I don't believe EFM is still making that model. Are parts easily available for that?
AFAIK EFM ceased production of the 900 in 1986. New replacement parts are sold by Marks Supply in Shenandoah, PA and there is an informal market in used components.

When we heated our last house with a 900, IIRC the only part I needed to replace was a shear pin. If we hadn't sold the house I probably would have eventually replaced the bin feed auger tube. The stoker on a 900 is a heavy duty unit that weighs 395 lbs. The life expectancy of one in reasonable condition would normally be measured in decades, assuming proper maintenance and operating conditions.

Mike

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:24 pm

What is the size of the supply pipe(s)? I was looking at a 700. Also, do you have the capacity for its steam output? I bet its a beast!

Townsend

Post by Townsend » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Ok, so what is the required maintenance for a typical EFM. I recall when I was looking that the 700 had an automatic feed pot rotators or something? Can't quite remember. Does the 900 have that as well? How about the smaller sizes (520?) is there a simple lever or something?

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Townsend wrote:So Mike, don't put words in my mouth. I like to tease sometime and try to make it readily apparent. If that explanation doesn't cut it the get a little thicker skin. Or did my Axeman posts and other AHS posts cut inadvertently into your sale of your big boiler that you need to lash out?
If you can't remember your own posts that's your problem, not mine. The words I have ascribed to you are your own.

Am I supposed to read the last sentence as part of your "teasing"? Because it sounds like you're trying to dismiss my comments by saying they are for sale. Thick skin or thin, that sounds a lot like an attempt at character assassination. Is that a "just kidding" or an "I didn't say that"?

Mike

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Townsend wrote:Ok, so what is the required maintenance for a typical EFM. I recall when I was looking that the 700 had an automatic feed pot rotators or something? Can't quite remember. Does the 900 have that as well? How about the smaller sizes (520?) is there a simple lever or something?
Aside from periodic lubrication and cleaning, not much. The 700 and 900 have the same basic pot rotation set-up, which provides automatic removal of fines from the air chamber under the burn pot. The 520 does not have a rotating pot; fines are removed by pulling a lever on the stoker.

Mike

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Townsend wrote:What is the size of the supply pipe(s)? I was looking at a 700. Also, do you have the capacity for its steam output? I bet its a beast!
The 900 has a 4" outlet. Both boilers were "named" to reflect their old-school net s.f. ratings for steam. The gross steam rating for a 900 is 1270 s.f.; for a 700 it's 950 s.f.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”