Heat Gun to Start up the Stove.

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
byrdy11
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post Wed. Nov. 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I haven't posted here in ages but I thought I'd share our tried and true method of starting up our keystroke fire after clean out, maintenance, etc. A heat gun straight to the fresh coals until they glow red and start burning. Saves us so much aggravation and time!

Bity454
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual paddle
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisureline pioneer
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Good looking wife : )

Post Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 10:37 am

How long does it take the heat gun to get coal going?

Flamingo26
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kast Console II

Post Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 12:12 pm

I sure would love to know how long it takes because I went out and got a heat gun and tried and tried, but my coal didn't budge.

byrdy11
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Ours is just a regular heat gun from ACE hardware. We hold it right up to the coal and it takes about a minute for the coal to turn red. A little longer than that to see a flame. We got the idea because we use heat guns a lot where we work for different things. Some heat guns have two heat settings.

jbc8000
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing

Post Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 2:27 pm

If it doesn't show signs of life within a min you need to reposition the gun or get a better angle. I pretty much bury the end of my gun angling it downward into the coal. I usually go threw about 2 guns a yr, cause if you leave it in a bit to long it melts the ends right off of them. But at 7.99 a piece from harbor freight its really not to much of a loss compared to the ease of lighting it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”