Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 10:53 am

imcloud..

no boiler )but I wish)

heating about
4000 sq ft (when consider basement)...all with coal
dhw currently electric....(get it??....currently....electric??)
...anyways hot water coil hook up soon....cant wait.
Im in CNY...btw

imcloud1

Post by imcloud1 » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 11:02 am

So what do you do if you have to leave your home for a few days in the winter? What if the coal fails and parts aren't available that day? I would be nervous with a single appliance, never mind coal, my hat is off to you, that takes some commitment and faith for sure... Not that my coal system ever failed, but its a lot of eggs for one basket...

I know how you feel heating 4K sq feet, I can spend $1000 a month in oil as easy as some people use $200. How much are you spending a year in coal and what unit do you use?

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 11:43 am

keystoker A150. hot air furnace
...ive gone upto 5 days without touching a thing....but yes-it still needs tending to it
(ashes and hopper)...oil or propane would be my other options...and we are considering a propane insert for the shoulder seasons....but ive let the stoker go thru 70+ degree days idling....with no issues.
4 ton of rice coal seems to do us the whole year...
we pay about 260. per ton....bagged....deliveref.
I kick myself SOMETIMES for not opting for the oil burner on our koker...but I could retrofit it ...for carefree extended days away.
as far as. breaking down...the stoker mechanism is about the only out of the ordinary part to find/service....and our dealers a phone call away.
other components are pretty common
( plus Im "pretty handy")...... :lol:

...believe me-i commend you for your well thought out design...
there is ALOT to say for reduntancy....its a true strength

imcloud1

Post by imcloud1 » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Rigar wrote:keystoker A150. hot air furnace
...ive gone upto 5 days without touching a thing....but yes-it still needs tending to it
(ashes and hopper)...oil or propane would be my other options...and we are considering a propane insert for the shoulder seasons....but ive let the stoker go thru 70+ degree days idling....with no issues.
4 ton of rice coal seems to do us the whole year...
we pay about 260. per ton....bagged....deliveref.
I kick myself SOMETIMES for not opting for the oil burner on our koker...but I could retrofit it ...for carefree extended days away.
as far as. breaking down...the stoker mechanism is about the only out of the ordinary part to find/service....and our dealers a phone call away.
other components are pretty common
( plus Im "pretty handy")...... :lol:

...believe me-i commend you for your well thought out design...
there is ALOT to say for reduntancy....its a true strength
I would even feel better with an electric duct heater, since you are running metal duct anyway, why not throw in a pair of Markel HF20's, or a hf20 and an hf10, the 20's are around 50K BTU and the 10's are around 25K, so when its not super cold and you need a little heat you can run them singly, when its cold and you need the heat you can run them together... You can buy the 20's for around $250 each and they are simple to wire, and simple to install in the dw.... I do this a lot with space packs, also sometimes when you install in floor radiant some rooms wont have enough room in the floor for enough BTU's to heat the room {high ceilings, glass doors, ect} and if the customer doesn't want to go into the walls with the tubing and raising the floor temps will make other rooms uncomfortable I will install a duct heater in that rooms ac duct work and run it in when the floor won't keep up.... They are 100% efficient of course, BUT electricity is expensive. But if your stove will run 5 days, and you were taking a 7 day vacation, load the stove, and rely on the electric to take over for the last 2 days or if something goes wrong.... as I always say, even a bad plan is better than no plan, lol....

$260 a ton, I wish, I pay almost $100 more than that, and if I pick it up {50 miles away} I can save $30 a ton...

Rigar

Post by Rigar » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 5:52 pm

imcloud1

...thanks for the idea..
electric is so expensive here...but it would only be for the shoulder season...or few days away...
i will look into it

imcloud1

Post by imcloud1 » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Keep an eye on ebay you can get the best deals on "electric duct heaters" be sure and get a single phase 220-240 unit{or compatible} you don't want a 120 unit they will need more amps and use more electricity. The control can be 120v but you want a 220-240 coil, they sell them cased and with the control mounted, I like using multiple units so you can control how much electricity you use, if its 40 degrees out a single 50K BTU coil would be fine, if its 0 out you may want to run 2 50k BTU coils....

Im not sure if you have air conditioning bu another option is a heat pump system, obviously much more of an investment, but if your dw can be retrofitted to central air it may be worth while... I usemy heatpumps down to the mid 40's {I can go lower but with my math the HE boiler starts to even out at that point}, it will work down to the low teens with no issues and when you combine that with a duct heater you can get really good efficiency... Hybrid systems are nice, they give you a dual heat source and less energy usage with improved comfort {heatpumps obviously don't dry out your air like a furnace of duct coil...}

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”