Cracked Glass Safe Until Get Replacement?

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
ytseman3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 (chimney)
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 5:26 pm

So I just started up my Keystoker 90 for the season and as I'm monitoring the startup the glass starts cracking! Is this something that just happens after years of use? It's a 2007 model, I did not do anything like clean the glass just before lighting or anything like that. My question is will it be ok to keep using it until I get the new glass? Also, where is the best place to get replacements or should I just order direct from Keystoker? I have a pic of the glass I can post if needed.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 5:28 pm

if it's just cracked, it should be fine, as long there's no pieces missing. just keep an eye on it.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

ytseman3

Post Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 5:34 pm

photo-2.JPG
No, it is intact. Just shocked me when I went to look in. Here's a pic.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 5:40 pm

wow! was the glass cold or anything on it (cleaner) when you fired it up.

My stove is probably at least 10 years old and still in pretty good shape, a bit soiled and dark in spots.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

ytseman3

Post Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 5:44 pm

well, the stove is in the basement and the temp down there is a bit cool probably low sixties. I didn't clean or put anything on the glass recently, I think I tried cleaning it with something at the end of last season after I shut it down and it cooled. I don't get it.

ytseman3

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 2:32 pm

So, ordered the new glass direct from Keystoker ($79+S/H). Is there any point to trying to keep it clean? They said they sell a cleaner but I would have to clean the glass daily.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 3:48 pm

answer to question is yes its OK to use until replacement arrives (just be delicate with it).

captcaper
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 3:55 pm

ytseman3 wrote:So I just started up my Keystoker 90 for the season and as I'm monitoring the startup the glass starts cracking! Is this something that just happens after years of use? It's a 2007 model, I did not do anything like clean the glass just before lighting or anything like that. My question is will it be ok to keep using it until I get the new glass? Also, where is the best place to get replacements or should I just order direct from Keystoker? I have a pic of the glass I can post if needed.
Do you really need to use it? Why take a chance on CO build up or sparks flying out or what ever my friend from harming your family to save a few cents over using the oil burner or gas furnace. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Your loved ones depend on you to keep them safe.
Current Stove Harman Super Magnum
Owned before
Harman Mark III Wood Parlor stove Scandia Wood Stove 2 Chubby Coal Stoves Small Pot Belly Cast Iron

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 4:01 pm

its ceramic, not glass... ive seen people go years like this. but certainly its not worth loosing sleep over, so coaler is right... just wait for new glass and be VERY careful to NOT over tighten it in any way when installing.

009to090
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Those cracks make it look more like it might be a piece of tempered glass instead of ceramic. Mine cracked this year too, but it was a single crack running left to right.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 9:00 pm

009to090 wrote:Those cracks make it look more like it might be a piece of tempered glass instead of ceramic. Mine cracked this year too, but it was a single crack running left to right.
I agree... but its impossible for this to be tempered glass unless someone made a seriously bad error in judgment (if these stoves came with tempered glass id never buy one).... it cant be... no coal burning stove uses tempered glass :cry: ? I guess its a question worth asking though...
@poster... please check thickness of glass if possible and a tell tail of tempered glass vs ceramic is that ceramic has a slight tinted look to it while tempered is totally clear or very dark shaded (obviously yours is not dark shaded).

ytseman3

Post Tue. Nov. 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Yes I can confirm it is not glass and is ceramic. It is thick and slightly tinted like you say. The instruction manual also refers to the "cleaning of the robax ceramic glass".

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”