Hard-On for the New Harman Co.?

SpurHntr
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by SpurHntr » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 12:52 pm

And, I'm also QUITE CERTAIN buying a Harman stoker helps keep MANY AMERICANS employed...

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 1:21 pm

SpurHntr wrote:
coalkirk wrote:I probably shouldn't say this cause I will probably be skewered for it> But the recent thread about the super mag problem where the wiring got caught in the stoker, that sounded like it was just as much the users fault as Harmans. Probably just an inexperienced guy who didn't really understand how the thing worked. Maybe I'm wrong. I was once before. :)
coalkirk
So, you think I should have DOUBLECHECKED all the wiring of my BRAND NEW STOKER before I lit it and plugged it in AFTER I paid in full for the stove AND paid for install services?
Inexperienced?
My grandfather owned his own breaker, and I still own the land my family's old coal company sat on...reclaimed and all.
I have lived in three home,s and tended to all of those stokers, plus garages, heated with coal growing up as a kid.
while I'm no electrician, nor a circuit board whiz, I didn't feel I had to trace all the wiring to my new stove prior to firing it up.
Todd
Sorry Todd. I didn't realize you paid someone to install it. I just assumed (wrongly obviously) that you had installed it yourself. As I pointed out in my statement, I may be wrong. ;) Whomever installed certainly should have caught the problem before it was fired up. Hope you enjoy your new stove.

SpurHntr
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by SpurHntr » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 3:55 pm

coalkirk wrote:
SpurHntr wrote: coalkirk
So, you think I should have DOUBLECHECKED all the wiring of my BRAND NEW STOKER before I lit it and plugged it in AFTER I paid in full for the stove AND paid for install services?
Inexperienced?
My grandfather owned his own breaker, and I still own the land my family's old coal company sat on...reclaimed and all.
I have lived in three home,s and tended to all of those stokers, plus garages, heated with coal growing up as a kid.
while I'm no electrician, nor a circuit board whiz, I didn't feel I had to trace all the wiring to my new stove prior to firing it up.
Todd
Sorry Todd. I didn't realize you paid someone to install it. I just assumed (wrongly obviously) that you had installed it yourself. As I pointed out in my statement, I may be wrong. ;) Whomever installed certainly should have caught the problem before it was fired up. Hope you enjoy your new stove.
Thanks ck,
No harm no foul.
I too have been wrong, once I think. ;)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 6:33 pm

franco b wrote:
SuperBeetle wrote:Don't know that they are Chinese owned but they have definite ties to China

http://www.hnicorp.com/
Can't find any Chinese names in management. Perhaps one but not in heating. Manufacture seem domestic. I would not be surprised if Chinese steel were used as it is almost everywhere.
the question is where does the money go... the money goes to China is the answer (except for the fat cats who run the big Showwww)
Last edited by dcrane on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed link>

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 6:57 pm

The wages stay here and what about the British and Japanese owned companies? At least they are providing jobs here. What about Chrysler and taxpayer subsidized Government Motors? The government just lost another 9 billion on GM worthless assets.

What about all the big name companies setting up in China. Are they an asset to China? Should the Chinese resent that?

These people have to compete and risk their money regardless of country of origin. Remember the panic when the Japanese were buying up so much? A lot of that turned out to be money losers for them.

If we can keep our markets relatively free and with minimal government interference then the market will sort things out in the best way.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 7:12 pm

dc did Crane Stove Works get all of it's raw materials from strictly US companies? Was anything at all used in these stoves imported? Just askin'.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 8:15 pm

Back in the day...
That would be the time of the first oil embargo...
There were many small stove MFG here in MA...
It was all local...
The Newcastle was made here on The Cape...
Certified and everything...
Still made on The Cape...
Now I do not know where the modern steel is made...
But everything is cast and welded locally...
The dealer is everything...
If the Dealer sucks...
Who cares how good or bad the MFG is...
And just one little request...
it is HARMAN... :mad:
MAN... :mad: :mad:
Not MON... :lol:
Thanks... :D

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 8:34 pm

cape..

I may be wrong (again)....but I think that is deliberate. (harmOn)
..maybe it supposed to represent a big "zero".....idk
....like I said...I may be wrong....but theres no Harman guessing.... :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Goog Lord, you're on a roll again! :clap: toothy NICE Rigar ;)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 4:46 am

Ok, I guess that settles it than... We simply don't like the new Harman Stove Company or their prices or their so called "business model" but their stoves made prior to the "buy out" were A+ (no matter how much the stove or a spare grate may cost you). I guess if I was the kind of guy who always had to buy shoes that said "Prada" or a car that said "Mercedes" with all kinds of "glitter" on them so my neighbors would be impressed than Its well worth the extra thousand bucks so I could feed my ego and feel good about myself (cant put a price tag "feeling good") toothy

(Shhhh :shh: waits to drag Capt back into thread LOL)

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 9:52 am

Doug,

Leisure Line stands alone for two rather simple reasons. The first is their absolute attention to extraordinary customer service. The second reason dates back to Jerry Steward and his founding of Leisure Line in 1996. Jerry had a different philosophy about building coal stoves, which differed drastically from his contemporaries like Dane Harman, Alaska and Keystoker. The Leisure Line stoves are made out of 1/8" inch thick steel, my Lil' Heater weighs a mere 200 lbs for example. A comparable Harman such as the Magnum weighs a massive 543 lbs, a real beast that's built like a tank. Because of the Harmans robust construction, the sheer thickness of the steel would allow for many years of abuse by several generations of owners. For this reason, they are actually similar to the antique cast-iron stoves because they will be rebuildable for the next 100 years. Unfortunately, as much as I love my Leisure Line, the rather thin steel won't allow for much abuse or deterioration by rust. I doubt very much that Emery from the Stove Hospital will be rebuilding any Leisure Line stoves in the future. Another important point here Doug is the look, the front of the stove from the owners perspective, especially when a women is involved. Simply put, the Harman Magnum is a beautiful stove to look at, this perspective is all too important for many stove owners. As you can see by this comparison, these are two very different stoves on the inside and the outside as well.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 11:01 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:Doug,

Leisure Line stands alone for two rather simple reasons. The first is their absolute attention to extraordinary customer service. The second reason dates back to Jerry Steward and his founding of Leisure Line in 1996. Jerry had a different philosophy about building coal stoves, which differed drastically from his contemporaries like Dane Harman, Alaska and Keystoker. The Leisure Line stoves are made out of 1/8" inch thick steel, my Lil' Heater weighs a mere 200 lbs for example. A comparable Harman such as the Magnum weighs a massive 543 lbs, a real beast that's built like a tank. Because of the Harmans robust construction, the sheer thickness of the steel would allow for many years of abuse by several generations of owners. For this reason, they are actually similar to the antique cast-iron stoves because they will be rebuildable for the next 100 years. Unfortunately, as much as I love my Leisure Line, the rather thin steel won't allow for much abuse or deterioration by rust. I doubt very much that Emery from the Stove Hospital will be rebuilding any Leisure Line stoves in the future. Another important point here Doug is the look, the front of the stove from the owners perspective, especially when a women is involved. Simply put, the Harman Magnum is a beautiful stove to look at, this perspective is all too important for many stove owners. As you can see by this comparison, these are two very different stoves on the inside and the outside as well.
The philosophy behind the thinner steel is with a stoker especially one working off of a thermostat such as the coal trol. As the fire ramps up instead of the thicker steel having to absorb the extra heat before it gets transmitted into the room the transfer is done much faster. Instead of the delay of the transfer where more heat is wasted up the stack. There are a few reasons for thicker steel one is more reinforcement around door openings. The way we do our door opening the thicker steel is not needed. The other reason for thicker steel is to hold and bleed the heat off slowly such as in a hand fired or a wood stove. Not necessary with a stoker.
I have been in a basement that wold make Smitty's look like the Sahara. There sat a Leisure Line stove next to the creek flowing thru. It was one of Jerrys first ones. 1996 model still chugging along still made from 12ga steel perfectly happy. Our Pocono and Hyfire are made from 10ga.
So I do not buy the argument of thicker steel is better with stoker. With the proper construction and maintenance it is not necessary.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 11:27 am

Anyone who has run an antique Oak stove will realize pretty quickly that the thin metal of the barrel is a more efficient heat exchanger than the heavier cast iron front. Many have also lasted well over 100 years. 12 gauge steel is also a lot heavier.

The only place I would be concerned about would be any baffle directly over the fire. Here heavy cast iron or stainless steel would be my preference. Good design dictates material adequate to the job plus a safety factor, anything else is waste. Weight is not a mark of quality or durability.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
EarthWindandFire wrote:Doug,

The philosophy behind the thinner steel is with a stoker especially one working off of a thermostat such as the coal trol. As the fire ramps up instead of the thicker steel having to absorb the extra heat before it gets transmitted into the room the transfer is done much faster. Instead of the delay of the transfer where more heat is wasted up the stack. There are a few reasons for thicker steel one is more reinforcement around door openings. The way we do our door opening the thicker steel is not needed. The other reason for thicker steel is to hold and bleed the heat off slowly such as in a hand fired or a wood stove. Not necessary with a stoker.
I have been in a basement that wold make Smitty's look like the Sahara. There sat a Leisure Line stove next to the creek flowing thru. It was one of Jerrys first ones. 1996 model still chugging along still made from 12ga steel perfectly happy. Our Pocono and Hyfire are made from 10ga.
So I do not buy the argument of thicker steel is better with stoker. With the proper construction and maintenance it is not necessary.
I was going to explain that their is ZERO reason to build a stoker like a tank unless were talking about water jackets running through it as a full blow boiler might, neither the combustion chamber or the heat exchanger need to be heavy gauge (it acually hurts radiant heat), its the same concept with antique's even... they built them with super thin sheet metal for a very good reason! anyways... Im ready to move on to the VC thread next toothy (private joke)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Nov. 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Oh God,No...No,Gunny.....Not the VC Thread.......Now you've got the Viet Cong pumpin' out stoves too ? We've all just flat-out gone to Hell :P

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”