Hard-On for the New Harman Co.?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 8:31 am

YES--I did mean to specify EARLY HARMAN's--I guess in my oldness, I forgot--"the mind is a terrible thing to misplace" toothy

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:07 am

freetown fred wrote:YES--I did mean to specify EARLY HARMAN's--I guess in my oldness, I forgot--"the mind is a terrible thing to misplace" toothy
Yea... nobody's bashing early Harman buyers or those who simply refuse to see the smoke N mirrors I clearly see (Im just one mans opinion so Im giving it) maybe im right, maybe im wrong about not wishing to take an American Industry and an American building block like Anthracite Coal and hand it over to the Chinese... their are indeed a lot of things we can no longer control or have "stake in", be it computer chips or rice and their are a lot of other things that we simply MUST have competitive prices for to live and their just no alternative left for us :( BUT IM HERE TO TELL YOU... GOOD QUALITY AMERICAN COAL & WOOD BURNING STOVES ARE NOT ONE OF THEM! their IS EQUAL or BETTER quality for an EQUAL or BETTER price... so in my mind... its a No-Brainer! :mad:

Can You imagine the frustration from so many other companies to see the "glitter & tinsel" & "smoke & mirrors" selling like hotcakes for double the price, half the service and knowing its the largest Chinese conglomerate now trying to take over an industry that built America! ohhhh sure.... I know folks like Matt & Dave or Mike have to bite their tongues, but what I see is them pulling their hair out crying out WTF..."where here, we support you, we listen to you, we want to help you, we in fact ARE YOU! yet of the 2 million sold in USA over half are sold by one company with the money to advertise "Glitter", cheapen the product, raise the prices and give NOTHING after the purchase (who says money cant buy you everything toothy ) ... well I don't have to bite my tongue...as they say "it is what it is".
Last edited by dcrane on Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:14 am

Dude!!!

:band: :rockon:

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:26 am

Still can't see your logic Crane... I have owned Haman for 7 or 8 years now and no issues with dealers or product. Still don't with this new stove and my dealer is pretty good it seems. I looked at other stoves and found none satisfied my needs as well as this new Super Mag. Between dealer network,placement of filters,forced hot air ducting options,quality. I found LL not much less money then Harman among some of the other features I mentioned. So I don't understand much of the gum flapping given here Probably never will.
I'm unsubscribing from this thread because I've heard enough. Things are getting repeated too often. Including from me.. I'll end with this... I guess I do have a "Hard On" for Harman...before any of this back and forth came on last week I told the wife I loved the new stove so much and the way it ran,ease of use,build quality I would have kissed it if it wasn't so hot... I did pat her on the butt though..:)
Cheers... and stay warm.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:38 am

Soooo, dc, now you're on to the COAL--not the stoves--Good Lord man, take a Quaalude or something :D

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:49 am

I have rarely seen such vitriol coming from so many forum members. However, much of it is warranted, and yet I see one poster fanning the flames just for the sake of it. This poster has no real part in this discussion, no cause or basis for resentment against Harman. In fact, this poster charged on the scene threatening to sue those he felt "smeared" his good name. Sometimes the discussion is best left to those with a vested interest of some kind. I will say this much in defense of a Harman product; they hold residual value like no other hand-fired or stoker stove other than an EFM 520.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 9:50 am

Never said my Mark III was poorly built. Quite the contrary - it's built like a tank. The weld-free corners with perfect bends are a nice touch as well - would love to see the machine that does that to 1/4" steel!!

BUT ... if I'm going to pay nearly $3,000 for a simple hand-fired stove, my hard-earned money had better damn well end up in AMERICA's pocket, NOT china's!! 'Nuff said!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 10:32 am

DC says that Harman is Chinese owned and built. I doubt that very much.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 10:57 am

Don't know that they are Chinese owned but they have definite ties to China

http://www.hnicorp.com/

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 11:07 am

It appears that they only have 5 coal stoves

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Browse/Stoves/Coal-Stoves.aspx#

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 11:07 am

Dane Harman sold his company to Hearth & Home technologies (HHT) in 2007. Hearth & Home is owned by HNI Corporation (HNI) which actively trades on the Nasdaq. All three of these companies are "American" in every sense of the word. However, they do manufacture parts in Asia which is all too common nowadays. The company officers and major stock holders all have "American" sounding names for those interested.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 11:14 am

SuperBeetle wrote:Don't know that they are Chinese owned but they have definite ties to China

http://www.hnicorp.com/
Can't find any Chinese names in management. Perhaps one but not in heating. Manufacture seem domestic. I would not be surprised if Chinese steel were used as it is almost everywhere.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 12:23 pm

If someone can speak to their personal experience with Harman products before and after the company changed hands, fine. Speculation and sweeping generalizations aren't going to help anyone.

SpurHntr
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by SpurHntr » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 12:27 pm

duplicate post
Last edited by SpurHntr on Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpurHntr
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by SpurHntr » Thu. Oct. 31, 2013 12:47 pm

SpurHntr wrote:
coalkirk wrote:I probably shouldn't say this cause I will probably be skewered for it> But the recent thread about the super mag problem where the wiring got caught in the stoker, that sounded like it was just as much the users fault as Harmans. Probably just an inexperienced guy who didn't really understand how the thing worked. Maybe I'm wrong. I was once before. :)
coalkirk
So, you think I should have DOUBLECHECKED all the wiring of my BRAND NEW STOKER before I lit it and plugged it in AFTER I paid in full for the stove AND paid for install services?
Inexperienced?
My grandfather owned his own breaker, and I still own the land my family's old coal company sat on...reclaimed and all.
I have lived in three home,s and tended to all of those stokers, plus garages, heated with coal growing up as a kid.
while I'm no electrician, nor a circuit board whiz, I didn't feel I had to trace all the wiring to my new stove prior to firing it up.
On top of that, how much should I HAVE DONE to try and fix the problem? The more I did, the higher chance a warranty claim could possibly be denied. Wasn't going to take that chance.
For items under several hundred dollars I don't really care about the warranty, but as it tops the $3500 mark my caremeter rises.
Todd

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”