Keystoker A-120 Won't Stay Lit in Warmer Weather??

fishcop41h

Post by fishcop41h » Sat. Oct. 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Hello, I have a older keystoker with the timer motor and a cam switch, I have ground this cam for longer run time while furnace is in idle, my combustion motor does not run all the time?? I burn rice coal, would buckwheat help it stay lit?? Have had this furnace for 20 years Thanks John

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 12:46 am

While I am certainly not an expert on the furnace models, I would "assume" that your combustion motor should be running at all times, just as my 105 does. That may be the primary source of your flameouts. Are all the motors original? Is it possibly worn out? Once you solve that issue, I would look seriously as seeing if a Coaltrol or the newer Keystoker thermostatic controls could be retrofitted to your unit.

FWIW,
Rick

fishcop41h

Post by fishcop41h » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 12:58 am

Greyhound, the combustion motor has been replaced, it has aways been wired to run off of the cam switch, the newer models must be wired direct?? Just wonder if the quality of the coal has a lot to do with this, seems like I get a lot of rock in my coal lately?? Thanks John

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Sun. Oct. 20, 2013 1:09 am

Quality of coal can have a lot to do with many problems, but that is usually easily rectified, even if you just buy a couple of bags or small amount of another brand or source to try that 'fix". My combustion motor runs constantly. If it were off for even a short time the stove would go out pretty quickly. I always thought that all stokers ran constantly, but again, I am not an expert. Perhaps someone else will chime in later.

Good luck,
Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”