Purchasing a Stove - Anyone Burn the "Lehigh"?

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 14, 2008 9:18 pm

gambler wrote:I would think you could order the upgraded t-stat when you purchase the stove.
I have that feature on mine (after market purchase, manual convection over ride).
It's available on the TS1 now, but the TS2 is $50 less $$. I'd really like that feature on my stat, but don't want to pay the tariff for the TS1 as the other features it offers aren't useful to me so I hope the TS2 upgrade is a reasonable cost when it comes available.

tmiraglia

Post by tmiraglia » Tue. Jan. 15, 2008 12:18 am

Apparently Dad spoke to "Jerry" today, a feature he likes. And he found out about some kind of option for controlling the convection fan. So that puts the Pioneer out front I think. It sounds like a solid product. Hopefully Dad makes a final decision shortly. I can't wait to take a day off and go see it (and feel it) when it gets installed.

xackley

Post by xackley » Tue. Jan. 15, 2008 12:08 pm

The reading Tri-Burner will probably be quieter than the sound of the continuous combustion fan of the LL stove.
Also "Radiant Only" of the Reading could just mean you place a room fan at a strategic location.

Be sure to take noise levels into consideration if the stove will be in a listening room, like near the TV.
But if you are comparing it to all the noise a pellet stove makes, the LL is probably quieter.

tmiraglia

Post by tmiraglia » Sat. Jan. 19, 2008 11:37 pm

Just wanted to give an update to all those who took time to give input on this thread. Dad decided on the Leisure Line Pioneer. We found it to a be cleanly designed, pleasant looing stove; we are going to get it in brown. Seems to have a lot of support on this site from happy owners. Owner seems to be accessible. Coal tron seems very practical ; and we think the option of a rheostat to have a separate blower control will give us the flexibility we need not to have the blower be too loud when we're in that room. Dad is saying goodbye to the Vigilant. It's been in the house more than 20 years; a nice stove, but I think he'll be more comfortable, and we're excited about a new day! Thanks to all who provided input. I'll send a further update when we are up and running, maybe in about a week.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Jan. 20, 2008 12:27 am

tmiraglia wrote: Just wanted to give an update to all those who took time to give input on this thread. Dad decided on the Leisure Line Pioneer.
I was wondering what happened to use guys, Looks like you made a solid choice and it was fun/educational to follow you thru the steps . Keep us posted now on how the rest of it goes .

P.S.
  • Help Dad clean out the coal bin fer new Coal
  • Next big choice where to buy 2 ton a Rice

tmiraglia

Post by tmiraglia » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 12:26 am

So the Leisure Line Pioneer arrived this morning at 8:15 a.m. and was up and running a short time later. We are very pleased with it. Dad and I had lots of fun checking out the coal trol setting and occasionally looking into the Setup to see what the Feed Rate percentage was. The house heated up very effectively in a short time. The coal trol settled in at 1 degree over set temp and then eventually backed down. We'll see how the overnight setting works and how it kicks back in during the morning. I'm not sure if the Coal-Trol morning set incorporates a recovery period or if you should account for that. One question we had was the blower. It seemed to be running at the same level the entire day, regardless of whether the coal trol was calling for 90 percent output or 39 percent output. I thought it would be more variable. We'll call the company and/or dealer to check on it. One other thing -- in my research I never came across the "clean glass" post. I'm not sure it would have changed our decision. Hopefully the Pioneer glass will respond to daily cleaning - it looks so good while it is clean. I read in the "clean glass" post that the Harman Magnum and the Alaska "clean glass" option may have a better glass view in that regard. In any event, we are pleased (so far, just 1 day!) with the LL. Thanks again for all the help here!!

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 1:16 am

Sounds like the installation went smooth you must have been all ready to go when it came . What Color did your dad pick ?

I recall that fan thing came up a couple a weeks ago seemed it took a bit but they got it figured out so it should be fresh in their minds an the answer will come quick . Check it out

LL Pocono Blower Fans?? Run on High All the Time? .

Keep us posted how your Dad likes the stoker type stove and if he has any input about the difference from a hand fired

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 9:03 am

tmiraglia wrote:So the Leisure Line Pioneer arrived this morning at 8:15 a.m. and was up and running a short time later. We are very pleased with it. Dad and I had lots of fun checking out the coal trol setting and occasionally looking into the Setup to see what the Feed Rate percentage was. The house heated up very effectively in a short time. The coal trol settled in at 1 degree over set temp and then eventually backed down. We'll see how the overnight setting works and how it kicks back in during the morning. I'm not sure if the Coal-Trol morning set incorporates a recovery period or if you should account for that. One question we had was the blower. It seemed to be running at the same level the entire day, regardless of whether the coal trol was calling for 90 percent output or 39 percent output. I thought it would be more variable. We'll call the company and/or dealer to check on it. One other thing -- in my research I never came across the "clean glass" post. I'm not sure it would have changed our decision. Hopefully the Pioneer glass will respond to daily cleaning - it looks so good while it is clean. I read in the "clean glass" post that the Harman Magnum and the Alaska "clean glass" option may have a better glass view in that regard. In any event, we are pleased (so far, just 1 day!) with the LL. Thanks again for all the help here!!
A few of the experts here have concluded that the setback is more trouble than it's worth for the minimal coal savings you may see. I tried 3 degrees and saw 2-3 degree overshoots in the AM so I just leave it at 70 now all the time. As far as the glass goes....it will eventually haze over on the LL. My stove went into sevice on December 11 2007 and I clean every day and treat it with Rutlands blue every other day or so. 50% of my glass is now hazing over in spite of my efforts. My buddy's Alaska has been in service since November 3 2007 and his glass looks nearly perfect save for one quarter size spot. He cleans daily with a wet paper towel....nothing else. I took the door off yesterday and really worked it over with the Rutlands. It's better, but still hazy. I'm convinced that I can bring it back with some cerium oxide paste or something like a wet sand with 2200 grit paper. I'll wait till it's time to shut it down to experiment.

Enjoy the new unit.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 9:55 am

i wonder why reading stove is using the old technology? do they know that the coal trol is out there? it makes alot of sense anyway to have a seperate combustion fan.....kinda wished I would have saved my money and gotten a brand new leisure line stoker......well theres still time lol

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 10:06 am

lincolnmania wrote:i wonder why reading stove is using the old technology? do they know that the coal trol is out there? it makes alot of sense anyway to have a seperate combustion fan.....kinda wished I would have saved my money and gotten a brand new leisure line stoker......well theres still time lol
They know. I'd guess it's about profits. Less expense means more profit for a given price point. Simple economics. LL appears to be more concerned with customer satisfaction. They're investing in the long haul. Smart.

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 10:40 am

lincolnmania wrote:i wonder why reading stove is using the old technology? do they know that the coal trol is out there?
Heres a litle clipping from the Coaltrol website seems Reading and Keystoker offer it .
What's New

October 17, 2007 - During Leisure Line Stove's factory store open house on October 13th we did our first public demonstrations of the long awaited automatic ignition system for coal stoker stoves. We took a video of one of over a dozen starts we performed during the day. The video is a 4.5MB download.

September 26, 2007 - We've reached an agreement with Reading Stove to offer Coal-Trol Digital as optional equipment purchased at their stove dealers. When you're looking to buy a Reading stove or already own one, be sure to ask your dealer about Coal-Trol Digital.

September 26, 2007 - Representatives for Coal-Trol Digital will be at the Bloomsburg Fair in the Stolz Stove Sales booth this Friday afternoon and during the day Saturday (Sept. 28-29). We look forward to see you there!

September 11, 2007 - We're proud to announce that once again Leisure Line Stove Company is including the Coal-Trol Digital on their 2007-2008 stove product line as base equipment. Please visit your local Leisure Line stove dealer or visit their website

September 10, 2007 - Keystoker Stoves is offering Coal-Trol Digital systems as optional factory installed equipment on their stoves for the 2007-2008 season. We're very happy to be working with Keystoker and look forward to serving them and their customers in the coming year.

September 8-9, 2007 - Automation Correct participated at the open house at Dennis Coal & Stove in Pompey, NY. Manufacturer reps from Keystoker, Reading, Hitzer, and Alaska particpate at this annual event, selling stoves over the weekend immediately following the close of the New York State Fair. Thanks to everyone who came out and purchased directly from us or bought a new stove with a Coal-Trol Digital system as an option.

May 13, 2007 - We've updated out list prices for the 2007-2008 heating season and have adjusted our online prices accordingly.

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 11:18 am

Optional....other than one unit it's standard on the LL lineup and their prices are competitive with stoves that don't have the CT.

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 11:31 am

av8r wrote:Optional....other than one unit it's standard on the LL lineup and their prices are competitive with stoves that don't have the CT.
I was at a combination Keystoker / Reading Dealer this weekend and I was a bit surprised the Coaltrol wasn’t mentioned to me and the two guys talking with me seemed pretty knowledgeable about the wares they were hawking as a matter a fact they even offered a history lesson on the origins of the Leisure Line which was pretty interesting but I took it with a grain of salt as it wasn't from Jerry himself .
The Coaltrol on the Keystoker would be a nice selling point the mass of switches, relays and timers on the back of that thing along with the additional cost of them I'm sure intimidate some buyers . In the color brochure they gave me Keystoker advertises a NEW airwash for the door glass does anyone know if it is like the Harmans and does it work as well as Harmans I didn't get to check cause I didn't look at the pamphlet till later in the evening and the sales guys didn't mention it even though it is another good selling point

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 11:42 am

i don't think the coal trol is std on the ll economy stove either.....the reading shop heater was 1200 winter 2006.....no one else could come close to that low of a price for a new stove.....for me it wasnt about the looks, I wanted a coal stove that wasnt older than my parents lol

av8r

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 11:43 am

coalstoves wrote:
av8r wrote:Optional....other than one unit it's standard on the LL lineup and their prices are competitive with stoves that don't have the CT.
I was at a combination Keystoker / Reading Dealer this weekend and I was a bit surprised the Coaltrol wasn’t mentioned to me and the two guys talking with me seemed pretty knowledgeable about the wares they were hawking as a matter a fact they even offered a history lesson on the origins of the Leisure Line which was pretty interesting but I took it with a grain of salt as it wasn't from Jerry himself .
I had that discussion with Jerry. His facts were different from the ones I had been given from dealers that sold other brands. In fact....each dealer had a different set of "facts" on what happened with Alaska and Jerry and how LL came to be. Imagine that! I'll take what Jerry told me as the truth, not that it matters much to me either way. What does matter is the dealers that had bad things to say about that whole thing were immediately scratched off my list as potential retailers. I don't like that crap.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”