I Want to Put in a Coal Stove

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 10:56 am

Hello,
I live in Bristol CT 06010. I called a Leisure Line dealer one town over from me. The guy said I would probably need to put an insert in my chimney. I want a coal stove that vents up my fireplace chimney and will sit in front of my fireplace on top of my 20" hearth. I think Leisure line is a good stove. What model would you recommend. I know they offer a hearth model but I think a stand alone would fit there too. There is a wood mantle that is 52" above the hearth and 10.5" wide. I have 1300 sq ft on the main floor and additional 900 or so upstairs. am seeking the most straightforward installation advice I can get.

Attachments

20130928_095734.jpg
.JPG | 110.2KB | 20130928_095734.jpg
20130928_102708.jpg
.JPG | 110.6KB | 20130928_102708.jpg
Last edited by ColdHouse on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: nevermind :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:06 am

Not that the LL isn't a good unit, other companies like Hitzer make regular inserts.

http://hitzer.com/products/stove/Model-503-E_Z-Fl ... ce-Insert/

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:10 am

It seems like a 30# hopper would need constant filling and won't even accommodate a full bag.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:16 am

You're looking for a free standing stove is what I'm reading. Not a big insert fan myself. There's quite a few free standing available--LL, HITZER & others--when you pick one & have questions on comparisons & install info, God knows this site is here for the asking :) My only suggestions at this point would be---hopper, some type of thermo--bi-metallic is my choice, & most importantly, customer service rating. I know with my HITZER 50-93---it's tend every 12 hrs in the dead of winter & walla---warm house:) In the cuff seasons she'll go a good couple, three days with a hopper full. He says as his stove's been idling for 4 days--filled hopper this AM for the 2nd time---she was down about half way
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:19 am

freetown fred wrote:You're looking for a free standing stove is what I'm reading. Not a big insert fan myself. There's quite a few free standing available--LL, HITZER & others--when you pick one & have questions on comparisons & install info, God knows this site is here for the asking :) My only suggestions at this point would be---hopper, some type of thermo--bi-metallic is my choice, & most importantly, customer service rating
Do you think Leisure Line is a good manufacturer? Would you think that I need to put some type of liner in my chimney?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:19 am

It's a hand fired stove, generally speaking with a hand fired stove you need to attend to it every 12 hours but someone else can give you better advice that owns one. One thing to keep in mind is it requires no electric, there is fans on it to distribute the heat better but they aren't required to operate it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:23 am

AND---a decent ceiling fan will cover all that--We are fortunate to have one of the owners of LL here on the FORUM---hey Dave---WAKE UP :clap: toothy Nice stoves, excellent customer service--LINERS???? hate em--if your chimney is in good shape, no need--just a money maker for the installer--just an old farmers thoughts--I'd bet you'll get some feed back on liners
Last edited by freetown fred on Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:24 am

ColdHouse wrote: Do you think Leisure Line is a good manufacturer? Would you think that I need to put some type of liner in my chimney?
LL makes an excellent product and you'll find no better service, you can get in touch with the owners themselves right here.

As far as the liner goes that is entirely dependent on the condition of your chimney and anyone recommending one without looking at it is just trying to sell you a liner. Ideally for coal you want a clay flue and if you're going to be in it for the long haul fix the chimney if it needs repairing instead of the liner. The SS is only temporary....

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:30 am

ColdHouse wrote:It seems like a 30# hopper would need constant filling and won't even accommodate a full bag.

The capacity of the stove is much greater. Tending twice a day and filling the hopper would be 60 pounds of coal which should be adequate for your house.

I agree with Fred that a hopper and thermostat in a hand fired stove is a great convenience.

I do prefer an opening into the chimney above the mantle rather than going through the fireplace opening which has its own set of problems.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:41 am

franco b wrote:
ColdHouse wrote: I do prefer an opening into the chimney above the mantle rather than going through the fireplace opening which has its own set of problems.
Would you please elaborate on "own set of problems"?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:45 am

ColdHouse wrote:Would you think that I need to put some type of liner in my chimney?
THat chimney looks good on the outside and is most likely more than suitable for your coal stove or insert. DO NOT let a dealer talk you into the extra expense of a liner that could possibly fail in a few years. Fly ash from coal contains sulfur that combines with moisture to create sulfuric acid. This acid (yes - battery acid) can and most likely will reek havoc on a liner. Some people have had good outcomes with liners, some haven't... Flue gases from a coal appliance are much cooler than a wood fire.

Get a chimney inspection from an unbiased, coal experienced person if yer concerned about it. Otherwise you can inspect it yourself. Chimney gurus - please advise :verycool:

To me, a liner is like putting a diaper on a toddler that's already potty trained :lol:

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 11:58 am

http://leisurelinestoves.com/
I was thinking about the Hearth model. Sits if front of the fireplace & has a 70# hopper. Matt from leisure Line says simple install just put flex pipe thru the flu and up a few feet into the chimney and insulate around it. Sounds like the cost of the stove is under 3k. How do you think the leisure Line Hearth would compare with The Hitzer 503 insert?

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 12:07 pm

freetown fred wrote:AND---a decent ceiling fan will cover all that--We are fortunate to have one of the owners of LL here on the FORUM---hey Dave---WAKE UP :clap: toothy Nice stoves, excellent customer service--LINERS???? hate em--if your chimney is in good shape, no need--just a money maker for the installer--just an old farmers thoughts--I'd bet you'll get some feed back on liners
... and be sure to check out the thread on this forum titled
CEILING FAN DIRECTION ?

...one of FF favorites...... :P :D

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 12:11 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
franco b wrote:
Would you please elaborate on "own set of problems"?
Going through the fireplace opening requires removing the damper and possibly its frame as well and then the path is still not straight up. The chimney and smoke pipe should be brushed once a year and it will be harder and more complicated to undo everything to do that. In general one or two lengths of smoke pipe are required to reach into the chimney proper from the damper area. Sometimes a metal plate with an oval hole for the smoke pipe is used to close off the damper area. Lot of hassle to clean.

The selection of a stove will be limited by the height of the fireplace opening and the height of the flue opening of the stove. With the chimney opening above the mantle you go straight into the chimney. Taking down the smoke pipe is easy and the chimney can be brushed from below through the fireplace. Any stove can be used, even a quality antique if wanted. Fireplace damper is left alone.

Either way is more work than at first glance but I do favor easier maintenance.

franco b
Site Moderator

Post by franco b » Sat. Sep. 28, 2013 12:16 pm

A stoker is nice but check the depth too. That hopper takes up room and moves the stove out into the room. Also needs electricity.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”