Disposing of Coal

chlop

Post by chlop » Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I thought I had registered fully.
At any rate, my fire now seems to be tame and dependable. When I got my stove, the installer told me I would have to be my own plumber. Well, that worked for almost five years, and then I found out that something such as adjusting the draft and aquastat could have such a profound effect. As I more or less implied, the coal I had had before worked without any real adjustment. I really don't want to say where I got the coal from because buying any coal is a risk.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 7:52 pm

chlop wrote:I thought I had registered fully. ...................
What Fred means is to fill out your profile listing your hometown. Little things like this info can help you out. Perhaps there would be another member on here who happens to live near you and has the same boiler and can stop by to check your setup. That's the reason for filling in the blanks.

There are some really nice people on here. We do even get together with each other from time to time to bend elbows and shoot the breeze.

Your choice to become a "full member" or not.

Rick
Last edited by Rick 386 on Fri. Sep. 13, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoodProphets
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Anthra Rice
Other Heating: 3 Fireplaces

Post by GoodProphets » Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 8:13 pm

At any rate, glad to hear that you are starting to work thru it.

Who knows, you might have just had a bin full of lesser quality and worked thru it.

It took me months to finally figure out what these coal junkies were talking about.
5 clicks this 2 feed air timer talk, aquastats, draft neg pos, psi, relief valves, autofill this, ash, BTU heat loss, degree days, lol.
but after going thru the adjustments it just happen to click.

That my friend is experience.

Walk into something with no experience and it a learning game until you get it right.
Learn the hard way, learn the easy way, just learn. Learn from your mistakes and your progress.

Take the words kindly and hope it works out for you, then it will be second nature
And will be a laugh when you look back.

You can now label me as a coal junkie!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Sep. 12, 2013 8:57 pm

chlop wrote:I thought I had registered fully.
There is more information if you want to fill it out but it's not required. Generally I suggest a general area you live in, e.g. northeastern PA and the model of your unit.

ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Sep. 13, 2013 7:21 am

Good to see it is burning better....

I agree with the others that listing a general area where you are does help - you don't have to be too specific (especially if you are wary of some of these guys stopping by and raiding your beer stash! 8-) ). Someone from the same area could be having your same issue to a lesser or greater degree due to weather conditions or getting coal from the same supplier. I have seen that from time to time here with suggested settings based on the coal source and what worked for them.

It could also eliminate the coal source as a cause of issues. If someone got coal from the same supplier at about the same time and they are burning fine, then that info helps too. You may have got to a part of your coal pile that was 'poor quality'....a lot of fines or maybe the neighborhood cats used it as a litter box, extra wet, scooped from the bottom of the supplier pile and had some stone, etc.....

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Sep. 15, 2013 5:32 pm

and what "brand" of coal was this? Not Kingston ... lol

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”