Stove Price Advice?

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
jgl1962
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: OLD Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Other Heating: Propane Furnace Backup

Post Mon. Sep. 09, 2013 6:14 am

I need some help in putting a selling price on my Alaska Stoker.

My parents are selling us their 2 yo Keystoker so I need to come up with a fair asking price for our stove.

Its an old Kodiak Stoker with a wide sheet steel body, shaped like the cast console. Has bottom rear vent.

I have converted it from tri-burner with a Dayton combustion blower, has 4yo grate and 2 yo stoker motor we also have 2 ash pans for it. I put all new gaskets in when we got it in Fall of 08 (I think).

I control the fire only by adjusting the stroke didn't have a rheostat and I had planned on a Coal-Trol at some point.

Glass is cloudy never be able to see more than the glow. I am going to paint the stove gloss black vs the flat that it is now.

I want to ask a fair price for it without being greedy or giving it away. If this Keystoker didn'tcome along I would keep it indefinitely.

Anyway I'd appreciate thus groups thoughts on a value.

Thanks

Jim

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Mon. Sep. 09, 2013 6:19 am

Can't help with the price, but I'd surely keep the stove flat black---not a big GLOSS fan on any stove--
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post Mon. Sep. 09, 2013 6:32 am

Last year I paid $1100 for my 1994 Kodiak, which came with a power vent.
It was down in hand dug basement, inside was rusty as all hell inside but it cleaned up nicely with a wire brush. I agree with Fred, Flat Black is the way to go.

jgl1962
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: OLD Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Other Heating: Propane Furnace Backup

Post Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 5:40 am

Thanks guys

A fresh coat of flat black then onto craigslist, and we'll see what happens. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”