Anyone Having Out Fires

BigFoot
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130
Coal Size/Type: PEA

Post by BigFoot » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 11:11 am

I had two out fires in a week ,all seams gook with boiler,even cleaned the chimney ,got to go get some more charcoal and get her going again ! My fire is olny for hot water maybe my temp/setting and timer is to low and timer set to long to keep it going at summer time !

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 11:50 am

BigFoot wrote:I had two out fires in a week ,all seams gook with boiler,even cleaned the chimney ,got to go get some more charcoal and get her going again ! My fire is olny for hot water maybe my temp/setting and timer is to low and timer set to long to keep it going at summer time !
You should have a manometer to see exactly what your chimney draft is, which is most likely the cause of the problem. Using it to set temperature and timing for minimum draft I think is the best course.

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 3:32 pm

My meter said .04 to.06 should have good !

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Does the grate "ash" when the unit is running? If everything checks out, Perhaps you do need a longer timer cycle.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 8:17 pm

My AA130 was about 95% out a few weeks back when temps were in the 90's here for a week. I just happened to catch it and saved the fire. I had my baro weight set all the way to L which was from the winter and I usually move it over to H in the spring time to get a little more draft but forgot this year. My timer is set as low as it will go, maybe 30 seconds each half hour.

BigFoot

Post by BigFoot » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for your
help

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Had issue awhile back when temps and humidity was high, added pins to timer. Been burning good with no issues lately.

chlop

Post by chlop » Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 5:52 pm

My DF520 usually goes out for a day or two when the temp is over 90 and the humidity is insufferable, so I expected a problem about a month ago during that hot spell. Well, the boiler went out at least three times since then. I adjusted the feed, the water temps, and the draft. I cleaned out the inside of the boiler and did a laundry list of other things. Right now, I have the water temps between 140 and 190 and the feed is at three clicks. The only other problem may be the coal----the ashes seem to be very heavy. If I can't maintain a fire now, I may trade in my Cadillac for a Pinto.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 8:23 pm

chlop wrote:My DF520 usually goes out for a day or two when the temp is over 90 and the humidity is insufferable, so I expected a problem about a month ago during that hot spell. Well, the boiler went out at least three times since then. I adjusted the feed, the water temps, and the draft. I cleaned out the inside of the boiler and did a laundry list of other things. Right now, I have the water temps between 140 and 190 and the feed is at three clicks. The only other problem may be the coal----the ashes seem to be very heavy. If I can't maintain a fire now, I may trade in my Cadillac for a Pinto.
If you have an EFM 520 that experiences outfires, I recommend you reset everything to EFM's recommended settings and go from there. I have NEVER had an outfire using their recommended settings...but I have tried to outsmart the system a few times and experienced a few outfires. ;)

Also, if you have poor draft, poor coal, or both...you will have problems with whatever coal burning appliance you are trying to use.

Baseline settings for a 520: 160 low, 200 high, 10 differential. 4 teeth feed, 4 air (or a touch more), 2 minutes every half hour on the timer. My boiler has been running all summer with those settings, trouble-free.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”