Anyone Having Out Fires

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
BigFoot
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130
Coal Size/Type: PEA
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: AA130

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 11:11 am

I had two out fires in a week ,all seams gook with boiler,even cleaned the chimney ,got to go get some more charcoal and get her going again ! My fire is olny for hot water maybe my temp/setting and timer is to low and timer set to long to keep it going at summer time !

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 11:50 am

BigFoot wrote:I had two out fires in a week ,all seams gook with boiler,even cleaned the chimney ,got to go get some more charcoal and get her going again ! My fire is olny for hot water maybe my temp/setting and timer is to low and timer set to long to keep it going at summer time !
You should have a manometer to see exactly what your chimney draft is, which is most likely the cause of the problem. Using it to set temperature and timing for minimum draft I think is the best course.

BigFoot

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 3:32 pm

My meter said .04 to.06 should have good !

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Does the grate "ash" when the unit is running? If everything checks out, Perhaps you do need a longer timer cycle.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 8:17 pm

My AA130 was about 95% out a few weeks back when temps were in the 90's here for a week. I just happened to catch it and saved the fire. I had my baro weight set all the way to L which was from the winter and I usually move it over to H in the spring time to get a little more draft but forgot this year. My timer is set as low as it will go, maybe 30 seconds each half hour.
Gouldsboro PA.

BigFoot

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for your
help

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post Fri. Aug. 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Had issue awhile back when temps and humidity was high, added pins to timer. Been burning good with no issues lately.
Randy
If you have time to make a post looking for free advice, then show some appreciation and say thank you.

chlop
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Post Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 5:52 pm

My DF520 usually goes out for a day or two when the temp is over 90 and the humidity is insufferable, so I expected a problem about a month ago during that hot spell. Well, the boiler went out at least three times since then. I adjusted the feed, the water temps, and the draft. I cleaned out the inside of the boiler and did a laundry list of other things. Right now, I have the water temps between 140 and 190 and the feed is at three clicks. The only other problem may be the coal----the ashes seem to be very heavy. If I can't maintain a fire now, I may trade in my Cadillac for a Pinto.
Aristes, PA

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 8:23 pm

chlop wrote:My DF520 usually goes out for a day or two when the temp is over 90 and the humidity is insufferable, so I expected a problem about a month ago during that hot spell. Well, the boiler went out at least three times since then. I adjusted the feed, the water temps, and the draft. I cleaned out the inside of the boiler and did a laundry list of other things. Right now, I have the water temps between 140 and 190 and the feed is at three clicks. The only other problem may be the coal----the ashes seem to be very heavy. If I can't maintain a fire now, I may trade in my Cadillac for a Pinto.
If you have an EFM 520 that experiences outfires, I recommend you reset everything to EFM's recommended settings and go from there. I have NEVER had an outfire using their recommended settings...but I have tried to outsmart the system a few times and experienced a few outfires. ;)

Also, if you have poor draft, poor coal, or both...you will have problems with whatever coal burning appliance you are trying to use.

Baseline settings for a 520: 160 low, 200 high, 10 differential. 4 teeth feed, 4 air (or a touch more), 2 minutes every half hour on the timer. My boiler has been running all summer with those settings, trouble-free.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”