Blaschak Vs. Reading Rice Coal

butchs37
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 dual feed

Post by butchs37 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 6:51 am

Wood'ncoal I see you don't live too far from me do you know anyone that sells Blaschak by the bag around here I would like to try a few bags.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:18 am

I have burned a ton of Blashak bagged rice so far this year with no problems and no debris larger than a twig the size of a toothpick.

BK

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 11:46 am

we'll have to start a "wierdest thing I found in my ash pan" thread. Today I found a lump of charcoal about the size of my middle finger. It looks like a wood block.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 11:50 am

I went out Friday and bought a couple hundred pounds of Reading and Blaschak in bags. The Reading looks exactly like what I got from Warner's in Candor, NY. I emptied the hopper last night and filled it with Reading...so far I don't see any difference.

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 1:21 pm

coalstoves wrote:Here's were it comes from
That photo gives me new meaning for the lyrics "Fire on the mountain! Run boys, run!"

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 3:16 pm

mikeandgerry wrote: That photo gives me new meaning for the lyrics "Fire on the mountain! Run boys, run!"

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Where it Comes From Part II

In April of 2003, The Reading Anthracite Company relocated its coal processing operations to the
Girard Breaker, located along Rt. 54 between Shenandoah and Girardville. This breaker serves as the "refinery" where coal is finally processed before distribution to the customer.

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**

Last edited by coalstoves on Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Been there, bought 5.5 tons of nut and stove, then went down the road and bought a ton of bagged nut.

Greg L

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Nice photos, Coalstoves.

Just thought I'd post some photos of what you can expect to find down by the grates after burning really bad strip coal.
NASTY COAL.jpg

Notice the metallic areas. Looks like molten metal. Very hard, can't be crushed.

.JPG | 134.8KB | NASTY COAL.jpg
NASTY COAL2.jpg

No amount of shaking will send this through the grates!

.JPG | 146.4KB | NASTY COAL2.jpg
I realize this is the Stoker heading, but I wanted to post these pics as an example of strip coal with lots of impurities. This was a piece of nut, don't know exactly where it was mined.

Attachments

NASTY COAL3.jpg
.JPG | 119.7KB | NASTY COAL3.jpg

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:40 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Nice photos, Coalstoves.

Just thought I'd post some photos of what you can expect to find down by the grates after burning really bad strip coal.
That’s pretty wild looking stuff, I've never seen *censored* like that in my ashes ( Blaschak ) it's hard to tell what something like that comes from but an impurity is an impurity and unfortunately the trucks that haul the coal have a habit of backhauling flyash from Co- Gen Plants that burn waste so I guess the melted rock could get mixed after the cleaning process performed by the breaker on occasion, I guess all coal has some no matter how it is removed from the ground .

That is why when shopping for coal I try to look more at how it is Cleaned And Prepared rather than how it was dug .

If you ever get the chance to watch the raw coal coming in to a breaker it is not coal as we know it for the most part it looks like gobs of black dirt with huge rocks in it.
I am also fortunate that my coal isn't handled 4 or 5 times till it gets to my bin between trucking, scooping, bagging, and storing the coal has a lot of time to gather junk .

I’ll be posting more soon about my experience with Reading Coal, next weekend I'm picking up a half Ton or so for a test burn .
Last edited by coalstoves on Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 9:57 pm

I have a habit of looking carefully at the coal as I fill the hod and load the stove. Rocks and shale are fairly easy to spot. The piece pictured was coal, it just has a lot of other stuff in it. Maybe from the edge of the vein. I've found that my stove "digests" pea coal much better, I'm running 50/50 nut and pea right now. I'm going back to all pea after this load.
I'm working toward getting deep mined coal, I know this is strip coal and I go "clinker fishing" daily. I expect to find things like this in the stove.
But...at least I'm not burning oil, and it's warm in here. :)

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 10:00 pm

i get some iron ore clinkers out of the stokers, very few with the nut coal in the kenmore stove

coalstoves

Post by coalstoves » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:I have a habit of looking carefully at the coal as I fill the hod and load the stove. Rocks and shale are fairly easy to spot.
I'm working toward getting deep mined coal, I know this is strip coal and I go "clinker fishing" daily. I expect to find things like this in the stove.
Was that crapola you posted pics of in Blaschak or Reading Bags or Blaschak or Reading Bulk ?

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 7:31 am

coalstoves wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:I have a habit of looking carefully at the coal as I fill the hod and load the stove. Rocks and shale are fairly easy to spot.
Was that crapola you posted pics of in Blaschak or Reading Bags or Blaschak or Reading Bulk ?
It was nether. It's from a dealer in Stroudsburg. The most I could get them to tell me was that the coal they sell is from near Tamaqua. They have a Centralia Coal Company calender in the office. For some reason some dealers keep their sources shrouded in mystery. They have a Warm Morning in the office and a Reading stoker w/ Magic Heat in the shop.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”